OT: Selling Vintage Audio Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Selling Vintage Audio Equipment

Looking for recommendations on where to sell large amount of vintage audio gear and audio test gear. A little background, I was, during my working life in the audio business (25+ years). Because of this, I have a large amount of old school audio stuff from the 60's-80's that I need to start getting rid of. With a recent dead in the family (wife's sister's husband) my wife is wanting me to start getting rid of stuff so that she doesn't have too,( at least she isn't pushing me to sell the Deckel's). Most of the stuff is higher end, at least it was back in the day.
    I was thinking about Ebay, but I don't know if that's the best way. Maybe there is other avenues that I am not aware of in this day and age. Any input would be appreciated.

Ebay is going to give you the widest exposure, especially if you will sell to overseas customers. Another possiblilty is http://www.avsforum.com/forum/208-classifieds/

RWO

Comment

I had a 1950s vintage, tube type, Heathkit audio amp in good condition. When I retired I tried using it here in my office but it made just too much heat. And to my old, but professional ears, it was not that good. About five years ago I cleaned it up a bit and put it on E-Bay with about a $10 starting price. I got well over $100 for it which was about twice what I originally paid for it.

This was a low end product back then. If you have better quality equipment, in working condition, you should do quite well on E-Bay. Do use several pictures for each item. And give a good, accurate description.
      Paul A.

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I have a similar problem, with some audio items which may sell for several thousand dollars each. I view ebay as a huge risk that I might simply end up with nothing, no money, no item.

With a high dollar item, the chances of someone pulling a scam is very significant. I would fully expect that a "buyer" would pull the old "all I got was a brick in a box" scam, get their money refunded, and I would be in the same position as if they were simply stolen from where they are currently stored, while the "buyer" resells and pockets "my" money. No, a worse position, as I would have paid for shipping to the scammer.

For really valuable antiques, a serious auction house may be the best idea. That depends on condition, of course, and finding an auction house that understands what they are selling.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I agree with the risk ebay represents. I haven't done it, but have thought of putting stuff up on ebay with no shipping only local pickup. You cast a wider net but avoiding the scam risk and people will drive for what they really want. Jerry and I disagree on this, but I maintain I get a price premium for many items selling locally as the buyer gets to try it and and they take is no "sight unseen" risk discount. Buyers want to inspect and handle and will pay more for that than mail order. I'm in a big market, so it helps make that true....if you're in the sticks not so much so

Find an audiophile forum that allows for sale ads?

Get it on craiglist, people search it outside of their immediate geography

Also, patience. I've taken 1/2 a year to sell stuff as I wait for the party that really wants the item to come along. Some get the shakes if it hasn't sold by next week, but to sell esoteric items quickly you very often have induce a sale through a really low price....good for buyer, less so for you. I want to sell because the buyer really wants the item, not because he just can't say no to that price.
          Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-24-2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

"Old" is a relative term. The LAST 25 years I don't consider as old. But if this is quality audiophile stuff from the 60's or better name stuff from the 70's and 80's then Ebay would give you access to the serious collectors/users.

On the other hand if it is PA equipment then it'll go for what PA equipment brings in regardless of age. And for that I think you could sell it locally just as well as on Ebay. Clubs and similar are always looking for PA gear. It likely won't bring a lot but at least it would be seeing use instead of filling a hole in the ground.

You may also consider if it's a club that the gear and your time to set it up for them could be donated in return for a tax receipt. That would help them and you at the same time.

Same if it's music amps. Locally would likely do just fine.

For PA or music gear sell it based on the power output. That's what'll determine the market slice you'll appeal to in any event.

Comment

In my case, it is top name stuff from the 1950s, highly collectible.

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
              .... Jerry and I disagree on this, but I maintain I get a price premium for many items selling locally as the buyer gets to try it and and they take is no "sight unseen" risk discount. Buyers want to inspect and handle and will pay more for that than mail order. I'm in a big market, so it helps make that true....if you're in the sticks not so much so
              We do? Not that I know of.

For at least certain items that are more complex, I strongly agree, and would not myself buy without being there to see (machines, electronic test equipment, bigger accessories, etc). For some smaller things, simpler, and possible to evaluate from a picture, maybe that is not an issue.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

I mostly use eBay for purchases, and only a couple times longago for selling stuff. No major problems, but scammers might be more of an issue for popular high ticket consumer and "audiophool" items, than for mundane electronics parts and equipment. There are probably many ways to protect against fraud. Perhaps shipping to a trusted third party where the buyer must go there and sign a release stating that the item was received in good condition, and perhaps even make payment at that time. Otherwise, maybe look at the buyer's rating on eBay, or establish some communication before accepting the offer.

Other possibilities are consignment houses (such as at Cabin Fever), flea markets, and ham radio festivals (Hamfests). Otherwise, maybe donate the items to Goodwill or Salvation Army and claim a high value for tax deduction purposes.
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png

Paul: www.peschoen.com
                P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
                and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Comment

Sold off my Nakamichi gear and my Bose 901 Series 6 speakers on Ebay. Got $700 for 30 year old gear that I paid about $2000 for. The speakers I got $600 for, which was a very good deal considering Bose had replaced my Series 4 speakers that went bad for $200 after I had them about 20 years! I buy and sell lots of stuff on Ebay and have not had any problems. I only accept PayPal and when you consider the huge audience the fees are okay by me. I get rid of stuff I could never sell locally.

Comment

I think eBay is a very broad audience, I am not sure vintage audio stuff is of interest to scammers but there seems to be a lot if paranoia here.
                    I know some of the vintage audio stuff I have if tested and ran by a reputable dealer will bring around 2000 bux per component.

Comment

Thanks for all the input! Most of all of it is higher end HiFi ie, Marantz, Mcintosh, Nakaimichi, Lexicon, Sony es, Denon TT, JBL, Altec ,etc. It looks that Ebay might be the best way, with local pickup. Shipping and packing this stuff will be very expensive (heavy !) Has anyone heard of Audiogon? Seems to deal with higher end gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Frugalguido View Post
                        Has anyone heard of Audiogon?
                        10+ years ago, audiogon was a decent place to sell high end gear. Then they did a site redesign, with lots of problems, and people stopped selling there. That forced users to other sites and they did not return. I don't think it ever really recovered.

I just popped over and signed in. I immediately noted the new terms demand to permanently own any photos or content you upload. Screw'em!

Also, I tried to check the fees for listings and they were hidden, or not easily located. In the past it was a percentage and it wasn't small. Again, screw'em.

"By making a post or upload of material to Our Website or otherwise communicating with us You grant to Us a royalty free, perpetual, irrevocable, and assignable worldwide license to copy, reproduce, translate, edit, modify, publish, perform, distribute, make derivative works from and use in any way for any purpose such post, upload or communication. "

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
                          10+ years ago, audiogon was a decent place to sell high end gear. Then they did a site redesign, with lots of problems, and people stopped selling there. That forced users to other sites and they did not return. I don't think it ever really recovered.

I just popped over and signed in. I immediately noted the new terms demand to permanently own any photos or content you upload. Screw'em!

Also, I tried to check the fees for listings and they were hidden, or not easily located. In the past it was a percentage and it wasn't small. Again, screw'em.

"By making a post or upload of material to Our Website or otherwise communicating with us You grant to Us a royalty free, perpetual, irrevocable, and assignable worldwide license to copy, reproduce, translate, edit, modify, publish, perform, distribute, make derivative works from and use in any way for any purpose such post, upload or communication. "
                          I saw that too, not very inviting. When you say other sites, what are they. I did find "Audiokama", any good?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                            ..... I am not sure vintage audio stuff is of interest to scammers but there seems to be a lot if paranoia here.
                            Or perhaps, too many stories of scams. In most cases scams facilitated by the buyer protection policies of ebay...... People quickly learn to "game the system" if they are the thieving type.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Some people have never trusted ebay. I made 5 ebay US purchases in the last month, and I live in Canada.
                              Morse 2 20.1 mm reamer for 30 bux shipped to my US address where else do you get that ?

Comment

Working...
                              X