If not a Tormach 1100, then what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If not a Tormach 1100, then what?

Pretty sure I want a bed mill for CNC. I said later this year I would buy one, but things are moving more quickly in a nice way. Same budget, <12k. Tormach 1100 is #1 on the list still.

The only thing I am aware of with a solid loyal following of users in a similar class is the Novakon machines. They are available in stepper or servo versions. Whether they are better or not I don't know. I do know they had a dedicated hate site by one guy who had a bad experience once upon a time. I also know there are a fair number of current very loyal owners.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Thank you for the input, haven’t heard of them. Wish the Tormach was closed loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
        Thank you for the input, haven’t heard of them. Wish the Tormach was closed loop.

Probably nothing new in the price range quoted will be closed loop. Although there are other ways, nearly all closed loop machines are servo motor driven which isn't found on cheaper hobby type machines.

I don't now your electronics proficiency level but my first choice, both for performance and cost, would be a commercial cnc mill with a bad control. Replace the control with linuxcnc and you have closed loop along with high quality. People have been doing this with bridgeport boss cnc's for years and give a LOT of bang for the buck. If you want new, the plot thickens.

Comment

Check eBay for older Makino products.

They appear to last for ?!#% near ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
            Although there are other ways, nearly all closed loop machines are servo motor driven which isn't found on cheaper hobby type machines.
            My industrial hobbies machine is servo closed loop. It is now called charter oak but I am not sure of their quality. JR
            http://charteroakautomation.com/
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Closed loop at the servo drives. (Not the control)

I agree with sparky.. get a commercial cnc with a dead control.

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
              My industrial hobbies machine is servo closed loop. It is now called charter oak but I am not sure of their quality. JR
              http://charteroakautomation.com/

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                Closed loop at the servo drives. (Not the control)

I agree with sparky.. get a commercial cnc with a dead control.
                Yes, servos and encoders. JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                  Yes, servos and encoders. JR
                  The charter oaks cnc mill uses Mach 3 for a control. Mach 3 is NOT capable of true closed loop control period. The "loop" is closed between the drive and the motor/encoder, the actual trajectory planner has no idea of actual lead/lag error because the encoder connects to the drive only, not the control. Still, its a improvement up from stepper motors. I put "loop" in quotes because there are normally two loops, a velocity loop and a positioning loop.

Another problem with the charter oaks is a very low maximum rpm. Under 4000 greatly handicaps a mill when using tiny cutters and speeds in aluminum.
                  Last edited by Sparky_NY; 03-09-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bob_s View Post
                    Check eBay for older Makino products.

They appear to last for ?!#% near ever.
                    Those are high end machines for sure, BUT very large also with big power requirements. More than not, those things present a problem for a home user.

Comment

Unless a used VMC with bad controls pops up for cheap, think I will pull the trigger on the Tormach.

Comment

Unless a used VMC with bad controls pops up for cheap, think I will pull the trigger on the Tormach.

You don't show a location but used VMC's do turn up very reasonable. I seen 3 Fadal VMC15's here in the last year, $5000 ea, under power and producting. The seller bought all new machines and needed the room. Be advised, even small VMC's weight north of 10K lbs and need 50-100 amps of power. You would not be unhappy with the tormach, they have a excellent reputation.

Comment

I've been looking at this same issue for something like two or three years now, and really, unless there's something new and innovating right around the corner, the Tormach stuff is some of the best you can get.

No, it's not top-notch production-level hardware, and yes, there's some shortcomings with them, but really, for a plug-and-play, open-the-box-and-start-cutting-chips machine in that price range, it's basically the best choice.

The Charter Oak machines aren't significantly cheaper but are no better, and in several ways not even as good. Ditto the Novakons.

The servo vs. stepper thing is a definite point, but the fact is, tens of thousands of people are using steppered Tormachs today, having no problems and making good parts by the bucketload.

Yes, you can get a used machine and swap in a new controller- Centroid's Acorn is a top-notch choice there, significantly better than Mach 3 and far more plug-and-play than LinuxCNC. But you're looking at a project- having to find a used machine, determine the condition of the hardware (just because the controller's dead, doesn't mean the ways, motors and seals are all good) having to do the conversion and install, etc.

Not a bad route if money is paramount, and you have the time for the conversion, but if you want to skip right to the chip-cutting, buying a ready-to-go machine is the better choice.

Doc.
                          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                            You don't show a location but used VMC's do turn up very reasonable. I seen 3 Fadal VMC15's here in the last year, $5000 ea, under power and producting. The seller bought all new machines and needed the room. Be advised, even small VMC's weight north of 10K lbs and need 50-100 amps of power. You would not be unhappy with the tormach, they have a excellent reputation.
                            That settles it, Tormach it is!!! My entire house is 150 amp service.

Comment

That settles it, Tormach it is!!! My entire house is 150 amp service.

You won't regret it. Related, the tormach tooling system, known as TTS are being cloned by the chinamen. The china copies are top notch and MUCH cheaper, they are sold on ebay BUT the only shipping option is DHL. Considering how you flap your wings all over the globe, you may arrange to get them overseas and save on the shipping. Even with the shipping they are a great deal, you might be able to save even more with a little advance planning. If memory recalls correct, 10 holders are about $125 and another $100 in shipping. I bought some for my RF45 mill and am very pleased.

Comment

Working...
                              X