• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Hass VM-1 80A full load/3 phase
    Haas TM-1 25A full load/3 phase or 40A/single phase
    80 amps 3 phase is a "bit" beyond what is available at the typical home shop. With a phase converter it will be well over 100 amps. The OP has 150amps for the whole house.

The TM1 is what is commonly known as the "mini mill". Its a great machine but over 3 times the OP's budget. Used ones command VERY high prices. The odds of finding a decent Haas anywhere close to the OP's budget are highly unlikely.

Threre are small VMC's out there fairly cheap BUT they are in BIG demand by hobby users and rare to find. The leadwell MCV0 is good example. There was one locally 3-4 years ago for $5K

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    You don't show a location but used VMC's do turn up very reasonable. I seen 3 Fadal VMC15's here in the last year, $5000 ea, under power and producting. The seller bought all new machines and needed the room. Be advised, even small VMC's weight north of 10K lbs and need 50-100 amps of power. You would not be unhappy with the tormach, they have a excellent reputation.
    Hass VM-1 80A full load/3 phase
    Haas TM-1 25A full load/3 phase or 40A/single phase

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    I’ve seen the Charter Oak machines twice at Cabin Fever along with the Tormach machines and they just do not compare favorably with the Tormach. I think Tormach has done a great job with their Path Pilot program too.

Leave a comment:

• MikeHenry
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post
    My industrial hobbies machine is servo closed loop. It is now called charter oak but I am not sure of their quality. JR
    http://charteroakautomation.com/
    There has been some talk on their CNC Zone section a while back that Charter Oak was no longer answering email or their phones. It might be worth a phone call or email to them before spending much time pricing one out.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by softtail View Post
    What are you going to making with the Tormach.. anything specific? I ask from curiosity and jealousy.
    Right now, just my own interests. I have a live steam hobby where it’s rare you just make one offs. Everything seems to be at least duplicated, if not 8. Prototyping, and parts for other hobbies. Everything in live steam is either Steel, Bronze, or Iron.

Leave a comment:

• softtail
    replied
    What are you going to making with the Tormach.. anything specific? I ask from curiosity and jealousy.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Nooooo... you can't stop thread after only 15 posts Someone has yet to suggest a diesel generator in the yard to run the pig VMC, then the usual suspects will tell you all the code issues and reasons why you can't.
    I live in an HOA, already threatened to park cars in my yard on cinder blocks, painted rebel orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    That settles it, Tormach it is!!! My entire house is 150 amp service.

Nooooo... you can't stop thread after only 15 posts Someone has yet to suggest a diesel generator in the yard to run the pig VMC, then the usual suspects will tell you all the code issues and reasons why you can't.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post
    For sure, it has been running 24/7 for 8-12 years. Thats why five grand. Some haas machines can be found (not Fadel quality) for 10k and up.

Problem with used industrial machines is they were sold for a reason. Time cycle was up, and properly so. Bearings on those machines?!?!? Big bucks.

And yes, I have three lathes and three mills. Only one is new to me. And all pretty old.

I think you came here to bounce your main pick off of us to see what gives.

The Tormach has been known to be a working machine. And there is tech support. Win win I say.

What will be you fist project? Mine is usually getting the new mill working JR
    First project on the mill will be getting my credit card limit raised :P
    Same as you, getting it setup and going.
    Current projects are:
    1) Finish lathe DRO install
    2) Convert 8x14 lathe to CNC(ordered a 2025 ballscrew for Z, 1204 for X)
    3) Machine the waterjet cut frames for my 4-6-2 steam loco project

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    What? Did you upgrade already?
    Not yet, but how easy it is to work overtime, and make an absolute killing. Rest of the year will be like this.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    You don't show a location but used VMC's do turn up very reasonable. I seen 3 Fadal VMC15's here in the last year, $5000 ea, under power and producting.
    For sure, it has been running 24/7 for 8-12 years. Thats why five grand. Some haas machines can be found (not Fadel quality) for 10k and up.

Problem with used industrial machines is they were sold for a reason. Time cycle was up, and properly so. Bearings on those machines?!?!? Big bucks.

And yes, I have three lathes and three mills. Only one is new to me. And all pretty old.

I think you came here to bounce your main pick off of us to see what gives.

The Tormach has been known to be a working machine. And there is tech support. Win win I say.

What will be you fist project? Mine is usually getting the new mill working JR

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    . . .things are moving more quickly in a nice way. . .
    What? Did you upgrade already?

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

The servo vs. stepper thing is a definite point, but the fact is, tens of thousands of people are using steppered Tormachs today, having no problems and making good parts by the bucketload.

Doc.
    No doubt there. My bridgeport uses steppers and it is fine. One key to not loosing steps is to not over drive the machine. I think the tormach is a great machine for us home shop machinists. JR

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied

You won't regret it. Related, the tormach tooling system, known as TTS are being cloned by the chinamen. The china copies are top notch and MUCH cheaper, they are sold on ebay BUT the only shipping option is DHL. Considering how you flap your wings all over the globe, you may arrange to get them overseas and save on the shipping. Even with the shipping they are a great deal, you might be able to save even more with a little advance planning. If memory recalls correct, 10 holders are about $125 and another $100 in shipping. I bought some for my RF45 mill and am very pleased.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    You don't show a location but used VMC's do turn up very reasonable. I seen 3 Fadal VMC15's here in the last year, $5000 ea, under power and producting. The seller bought all new machines and needed the room. Be advised, even small VMC's weight north of 10K lbs and need 50-100 amps of power. You would not be unhappy with the tormach, they have a excellent reputation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X