Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angular Contact Bearing Installation?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Angular Contact Bearing Installation?

    Have a Toyo ML-1 lathe which takes 20 x 42 x 12mm bearings. Got single row Angular Contact to fit. Now for the silly question. Which way do I install them on the spindle?
    Nev.

  • #2
    Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
    Have a Toyo ML-1 lathe which takes 20 x 42 x 12mm bearings. Got single row Angular Contact to fit. Now for the silly question. Which way do I install them on the spindle?
    More than a few combinations:

    https://www.gmnbt.com/spindle-bearin...nical-info.htm

    Not familiar with the ML-1 specifics so for better quesses you need to specify how many bearings, if there is spacers and where the preloading nuts are located.
    Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

    Comment


    • #3
      Two bearings, no spacers and just nut on tail of spindle IIRC. Had it apart for years and just getting around on putting it back together. Can't rush these things. LOL. Just need to remember where all the bits belong.

      Link to Toyo - http://www.lathes.co.uk/toyo/page3.html
      Nev.

      Comment


      • #4
        The bearings should be marked or indicated for thrust side. The thrust side will face out on both ends.

        Comment


        • #5
          Are you referring to the high point of eccentricity (burnish mark) of the bearing in relation to the spindle markings, if any????

          Not sure what your asking. Is this a duplex configuration?? Pre-load???

          JL..............

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            Two bearings, no spacers and just nut on tail of spindle IIRC. Had it apart for years and just getting around on putting it back together. Can't rush these things. LOL. Just need to remember where all the bits belong.

            Link to Toyo - http://www.lathes.co.uk/toyo/page3.html
            Most probably "O" back to back confiquration (see the link above)
            Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

            Comment


            • #7
              You want the front bearing (nearest chuck) to be the thrust bearing .
              Look at this bearing cross-section
              http://www.skf.com/us/products/beari...ngs/index.html
              The right side on this bearing should be close to the chuck, so this picture fits your installation perfectly for the front bearing.
              The rear bearing will be opposite , so your draw nut on the ( spindle )assembly will tighten both bearings and give you the most rigidity

              Rich
              Green Bay, WI

              Comment


              • #8
                Also meant to comment on bearing design. A 25 to 40 degree pressure angle on a angular bearing usually has a large shoulder on one side of the inner race, and a large shoulder on the opposite side for the outer race. You can easily see this in the SKF link I posted.
                Lesser angle bearings may only have the outer race with a larger shoulder...see the photo of this in the Link for post # 2

                In either case, you always want the outer race large shoulders to face the inside of the headstock.

                Rich
                Green Bay, WI

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                  You want the front bearing (nearest chuck) to be the thrust bearing .
                  Look at this bearing cross-section
                  http://www.skf.com/us/products/beari...ngs/index.html
                  The right side on this bearing should be close to the chuck, so this picture fits your installation perfectly for the front bearing.
                  The rear bearing will be opposite , so your draw nut on the ( spindle )assembly will tighten both bearings and give you the most rigidity

                  Rich
                  Got it now. After posting and having a closer look at the bearings, this is what I thought. I think the inner race can be pushed out if not done this way.
                  Nev.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    25 degree pressure angle bearings are a bit tough to identify the thrust side. 40 degree bearings need the thrust side notched to get the ball into the races. Just did one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      NiftyNev: Does it use spacers for preload ?

                      Sarge41

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
                        NiftyNev: Does it use spacers for preload ?

                        Sarge41
                        No. Now have to wait because I was supplied the wrong bearings. Got 20x47x12 instead of the 20x42x12 I asked for.
                        Nev.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The preload is set by the differential grind on the bearings.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If this is a typical 2 bearing machine, will not one be at the nose, and the other at the tail end of the spindle, with the preload set by the tail nut? No spacers or special grind used then. We have not been granted a picture of the setup, the link does not seem to show it, but the OP said no spacers etc.

                            The bearings would both be set up to take thrust "inward" into the housing, so that when the nut is snugged to set preload, the bearings support the tension in the spindle.
                            4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

                            CNC machines only go through the motions

                            "There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              If this is a typical 2 bearing machine, will not one be at the nose, and the other at the tail end of the spindle, with the preload set by the tail nut? No spacers or special grind used then. We have not been granted a picture of the setup, the link does not seem to show it, but the OP said no spacers etc.

                              The bearings would both be set up to take thrust "inward" into the housing, so that when the nut is snugged to set preload, the bearings support the tension in the spindle.
                              That was my understanding of bearing setup also.
                              Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X