4 Jaw Independent Chuck for Drill Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Jaw Independent Chuck for Drill Press

This is a old Union Chuck that setup for using on my Drill Press,in first pic is for adjusting jaws simply push in move jaw pull back turn Chuck repeat.Second pic shows in locked position by tightening brass finger nut so Chuck cannot turn.Third pic how Chuck is held on plate with shoulder bolt.I have used a Lathe Chucks on drill press numerous times but pain to adjust on table.The base will be trimmed down to quick attach to table along side a Heinrich 30 drill press vice.
    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 03-10-2018, 09:33 PM.

Great idea. Pleased to see I'm not the only person using surplus 4 jaw chucks as a vice!
    West Sussex UK

Comment

Would it be handier if you could index it at more than ninety degree increments?

For your consideration: A back plate two inches larger diameter than the chuck with 360 holes near perimeter and an index hole in the bottom plate with a drop in pin.
      Couple of clamps from bottom plate to back plate.
      Last edited by 1-800miner; 03-11-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
        Great idea. Pleased to see I'm not the only person using surplus 4 jaw chucks as a vice!
        I would think a lot of members on this forum would us a spare Lathe Chuck for drilling&tapping on drill press.
        Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
        Would it be handier if you could index it at more than ninety degree increments?

For your consideration: A back plate two inches larger diameter than the chuck with 360 holes near perimeter and an index hole in the bottom plate with a drop in pin.
        Couple of clamps from bottom plate to back plate.
        The only reason for rotating Chuck is to be able tighten each jaw,then lock so can't move,the peice doesn't have be ccentered in Chuck I had a 3 jaw scroll Chuck that could have been used in fixed position,but opted to use 4 jaw for oddball peices.The only reason for this device is to hold collars,hubs,sprocket and pulleys accurately in vertical position for drilling & tapping.My drill press table has 30" X travel and 15" on Y so positioning is fast and easy.

Comment

I used a similar setup with a ' 3 jaw, when I used my drill press as a tapping machine..

Comment

Working...
          X