Video Of The Day...Thread Chasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Of The Day...Thread Chasers

I'm sure some here have use this technique before but I have not and thought it needed sharing.
    Going to have a go at this sometime just for yucks.
    I may even use some good nuts and bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvoJ3awG7HM
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Looks like a bare bones operation but he got his point across, im thinking very hard bolts and nut's and carbide, might actually have some semi-worthy taps and dies,,,

Note how he chose the peaks of the nutz to bore at, very important... worthwhile vid and could save you in a pinch...

Comment

Yeah I'd like to see the patina on the rest of the shop. But like you say he gets it done.
      Yes good point on using the apex of the nuts, easy to index the holes and lots of meat there for for a suitably sized drill.

I think I've got just about everything in the shop in regards to taps, dies, thread chasers and thread files but I'm not always home when the need for something like comes up. Happens all the time when at a buddy's place. They've usually got a drill and some bits. Something simple like this can save the day.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Dies and taps aren't that expensive, especially the ones that are only for thread chasing. And they are enough oversized to give you the proper fit. A bolt and nut will have allowances in the opposite direction, for fit and will not cut a proper thread in each other.

I guess for a weekend warrior it may get him past the dreaded Saturday night when the stores are closed.
        Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 03-11-2018, 09:39 PM.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

OK if you don;t have real ones.

Video was maybe OK, don't know because right in the middle an ad popped up and covered the middle of the screen. I was NOT clicking on anything in that ad, so I could not see the last part of the video.
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            Looks like a bare bones operation but he got his point across, im thinking very hard bolts and nut's and carbide, might actually have some semi-worthy taps and dies,,,

Note how he chose the peaks of the nutz to bore at, very important... worthwhile vid and could save you in a pinch...
            I like the way he indexes the vise on that old drill press.

JL....

Comment

Raggedy cuffs are just asking to get caught up in spinning machinery.

Comment

As everyone has said ... works in a pinch, but don't bother making up a set of them.

I once had to chase an oddball thread and cut flutes in a bolt with an angle grinder & cut-off wheel. Not as pretty as the video's chaser, but it worked.

Comment

It means more to the folks that restore antiques (autos, machinery, etc.) where the old bolts have smooth heads and some old nuts are true castles or special form. Before the time of SAE, most manufacturers made their own nuts and bolts with hardness and form for a specific location. If you're a real restorer, there's nothing more aggravating than seeing bolts with SAE designations on an old machine or car.

Comment

Working...
                  X