No announcement yet.

Senft "Poppin" ENGINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am fairly certain that any positive pressure in the cylinder would be a bad thing so a relief valve can only be good but of course to be perfect it would have to open with very, very low pressure.

I suppose it is possible that a smoke stack of appropriate dimensions might have some useful extractor function?

Comment

• If anyone liked my sexy cylinder, here is the drawing of it.--Brian
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• I got an answer on the poppet valve exhaust. There should never be positive pressure build up inside a flame eater engine. The Poppin gets away without an exhaust stack because if the piston moving towards top dead center causes any positive pressure, the .002" thick valve flexes enough to release this pressure. On larger flame eaters where the sliding valve is mechanically driven and does not flex, you need the exhaust valve which is indeed a poppet valve to release this pressure. This type of valve is basically a small ball setting in a cone. It will let pressure out, but seals automatically when the piston is creating suction to pull the flame into the engine. Some engines have a stack, although it is just for show. Other engines just have the exposed valve setting on top of the cylinder at the end opposite to the crankshaft.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• What a lovely little engine this is. The more it runs, the better it runs. I fire it up a couple of times a day when I'm setting at my computer and it makes me smile. No need for a battery or an air compressor. This engine is pure fun!!!
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Is a Stirling engine in your future? It looks like you have already made the burner, for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVCtgB66T28
            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• Allan--You must have missed this one---Brian
              http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...tirling-Engine
              Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                Allan--You must have missed this one---Brian
                http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...tirling-Engine
                Brian,

I am embarrassed by my short memory span!
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• Allan---welcome to the club.---Brian
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Brian: I'd sure like to see you go back to the Ridder engine. I built one to his design and never could get it to run. If you figure out some of the problems I might develop enough interest to get it out from under the workbench and work on it again.
                    Carl

Comment

• Originally posted by millhand View Post
                      Brian: I'd sure like to see you go back to the Ridder engine. I built one to his design and never could get it to run. If you figure out some of the problems I might develop enough interest to get it out from under the workbench and work on it again.
                      Carl
                      Cool the fins with an ice cube, if you please. This might give more vacuum, to coax your errant engine to run.
                      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                      X