X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aostling
    replied
    Originally posted by millhand View Post
    Brian: I'd sure like to see you go back to the Ridder engine. I built one to his design and never could get it to run. If you figure out some of the problems I might develop enough interest to get it out from under the workbench and work on it again.
    Carl
    Cool the fins with an ice cube, if you please. This might give more vacuum, to coax your errant engine to run.

Leave a comment:

• millhand
    replied
    Brian: I'd sure like to see you go back to the Ridder engine. I built one to his design and never could get it to run. If you figure out some of the problems I might develop enough interest to get it out from under the workbench and work on it again.
    Carl

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Allan---welcome to the club.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Allan--You must have missed this one---Brian
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...tirling-Engine
    Brian,

I am embarrassed by my short memory span!

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Allan--You must have missed this one---Brian
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...tirling-Engine

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Is a Stirling engine in your future? It looks like you have already made the burner, for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVCtgB66T28

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    What a lovely little engine this is. The more it runs, the better it runs. I fire it up a couple of times a day when I'm setting at my computer and it makes me smile. No need for a battery or an air compressor. This engine is pure fun!!!

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I got an answer on the poppet valve exhaust. There should never be positive pressure build up inside a flame eater engine. The Poppin gets away without an exhaust stack because if the piston moving towards top dead center causes any positive pressure, the .002" thick valve flexes enough to release this pressure. On larger flame eaters where the sliding valve is mechanically driven and does not flex, you need the exhaust valve which is indeed a poppet valve to release this pressure. This type of valve is basically a small ball setting in a cone. It will let pressure out, but seals automatically when the piston is creating suction to pull the flame into the engine. Some engines have a stack, although it is just for show. Other engines just have the exposed valve setting on top of the cylinder at the end opposite to the crankshaft.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    If anyone liked my sexy cylinder, here is the drawing of it.--Brian

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    I am fairly certain that any positive pressure in the cylinder would be a bad thing so a relief valve can only be good but of course to be perfect it would have to open with very, very low pressure.

I suppose it is possible that a smoke stack of appropriate dimensions might have some useful extractor function?

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Some of them seem to be for show or for the relief valve that some have. I've seen a number of them where the flame box doesn't even connect to the stack. so "it depends"... .

Reading your posts and the trials with the .002 thick intake valve I realized that the idea of using the shim stock is that the valve also can act like a pressure relief on the up stroke. Very clever of Mr Senft.

In looking at a large number of YT videos of flamelickers I noted that some really like to blow out their lamps or burners. But it seemed like the ones with shrouds seemed to get blown out as often as the ones without. And I didn't see enough with stacks that were part of the firebox to say if it helped or not.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Some of the flame eaters I seen on you-tube (Big Nick for example) have exhaust stacks on the cylinder. What's that about? Has anyone knowledge of why. Obviously it must help from blowing out the flame, but I would like some more information. Thank you in advance, Brian

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    Nice job Brian! Very nice runner you made there! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Leave a comment:

• sasquatch
    replied
    Nice Work Brian.

Leave a comment:

• Cuttings
    replied
    Great job Brian. Persistence usually always wins.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X