Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"remote" switch or foot pedal for tapping with bench drill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "remote" switch or foot pedal for tapping with bench drill?

Anyone else with the same problem: Only 2 hands when three is needed?

Was thinking of adding small extra switch to vfd control box, mount with magnets to the vise or wherever fit. Or a foot pedal?
    Someone else must have already solved this problem (and get smacked in the face with drill vise)

Both my drill presses have foot switches. Been that way all my life.
    My 1 HP DC drive easily taps 1/2-13 and I have a hand available for instant reverse or holding the work .
    Only way to go IMHO
    Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

I don't know about retrofitting what you have, but that feature is pretty common on industrial machines. My drill press has a foot pedal and my knuckle drill has an "instant reversing" lever. You can set it to trip when the quill hits a certain point or you can work it by hand. Once you trip it, the spindle immediately reverses, making blind holes super easy.

If you're on a VFD and both the motor and VFD can handle braking and reversing, I think a foot pedal would be handy. You could just set it up to toggle spindle direction.
      Last edited by Fasttrack; 03-12-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
        I don't know about retrofitting what you have, but that feature is pretty common on industrial machines. My drill press has a foot pedal and my knuckle drill has an "instant reversing" lever. You can set it to trip when the quill hits a certain point or you can work it by hand. Once you trip it, the spindle immediately reverses, making blind holes super easy.

If you're on a VFD and both the motor and VFD can handle braking and reversing, I think a foot pedal would be handy. You could just set it up to toggle spindle direction.
        Spindle direction toggle would be really handy but I was also thinking about the case that something gets stuck and I don't want to go straight to reverse.
        I do have on-off switch and fwd/reverse selection on the control box mounted to bench drill but would rather have the control at hand (or under toes)

I'm thinking of magnet mounted push button with small protective shroud to prevent accidental actuations. Foot pedal is another option but I'm a clumsy bastard in a tiny shop..

Comment

Is a tapping head a possibility - Tapmatic, Accusize or an equivalent? You likely already know how the automatic clutch mechanism reverses tap direction. Pricy when new, but available second-hand.

I don't have any foot switches, but I spent a brief time shopping them last month. BusyBee in Canada has a couple available for not a lot of money. Similar vendors in other countries (Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, Axminster & ect) could carry variations. (I didn't go so far as to look into offerings from the likes of Allen-Bradley and other industrial suppliers.)

Edit: Oops.

Missed the mention of a VFD in the OP. Obviously, the kind of foot switches I mentoned above would not be appropriate for use w/ VFD.
          Last edited by EddyCurr; 03-12-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
            I'm thinking of magnet mounted push button with small protective shroud to prevent accidental actuations.
            Sounds like an application for an "Emergency Stop" palm switch.

May or may not require revisions/additions to the present On/Off arrangement. But no big deal.

Comment

I never hold anything metal by hand in a drill press. At least not since I spun my lathe tail stock on a 3/4" drill bit for about 10-15 revolutions. My X/Y vise is bolted to the table so I always have a free hand. If I need a larger surface for flat or large material, I have a board with a 2x3 glued/screwed to the bottom. I clamp that in the vise then clamp the material to the board.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                I never hold anything metal by hand in a drill press. At least not since I spun my lathe tail stock on a 3/4" drill bit for about 10-15 revolutions. My X/Y vise is bolted to the table so I always have a free hand. If I need a larger surface for flat or large material, I have a board with a 2x3 glued/screwed to the bottom. I clamp that in the vise then clamp the material to the board.
                I'd say it depends. As long as either the bit/tap is enough small to break or the drill doesn't have enough torque to rip of your arm even if you use 2 feet long vice as a leverage its reasonably safe to handheld the vise.
                drilling brass with 1" drill and geared drill press is a bad combination, I know that..

Comment

Use a tapping head, no need to stop the spindle. If doing round pieces use a 3 jaw to hold them.
                  I had a push button oiler on mine 200 pieces, 3/4 inch long threads, per hour..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                    Use a tapping head, no need to stop the spindle. If doing round pieces use a 3 jaw to hold them.
                    I had a push button oiler on mine 200 pieces, 3/4 inch long threads, per hour..
                    Seem like used tapping heads are not too common in here and since I have vfd on the drill its reasonably easy to toggle it between forward and reverse.
                    I guess I could even fabricobble the reversing switch to sense the feed pressure but I'm not looking at making THAT many threads..

Comment

Do you have a Jog function available on your VFD? Set up a button or foot switch to jog. Hopefully you'll also have a separate Jog ramp up/down setting on the VFD, that you can set short.

I just converted my mill to 3ph and did the above with push button. Hoping to use the jog to tap, forward/reverse switch still controls direction. Have not used that function for tapping yet, but I'm hoping it will work for my limited tapping.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister ED View Post
                        Do you have a Jog function available on your VFD? Set up a button or foot switch to jog. Hopefully you'll also have a separate Jog ramp up/down setting on the VFD, that you can set short.

I just converted my mill to 3ph and did the above with push button. Hoping to use the jog to tap, forward/reverse switch still controls direction. Have not used that function for tapping yet, but I'm hoping it will work for my limited tapping.
                        Lowest speed on my VFD is so slow that I die of old age before finishing a thread at that speed. I can hand tap faster than that

Comment

How many pieces will you tap at a time ?
                          I would do 5/16 or 8mm threads at around 500 or more rpm,s.
                          Remember, most tapping heads, reverse at higher speed than the spindle, I think mine reverses at 1.75 spindle speed.
                          Faster production is the result.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                            How many pieces will you tap at a time ?
                            I would do 5/16 or 8mm threads at around 500 or more rpm,s.
                            Remember, most tapping heads, reverse at higher speed than the spindle, I think mine reverses at 1.75 spindle speed.
                            Faster production is the result.
                            Not any sort of production use, I'd say 1 to 10 holes PER WEEK depending on what I'm working on.
                            Would be also easy to fabricobble high speed reverse but that one is also probably overkill for my use. '
                            I do already have switch for hi/lo ranges on vfd control box, low range has setting from 7rpm to 220rpm and high range is 10x that.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                              Lowest speed on my VFD is so slow that I die of old age before finishing a thread at that speed. I can hand tap faster than that
                              Maybe there is the difference, the VFD I have (Allen Bradley PowerFlex 4) has a separate setting for Jog Hz and Jog accel/decel (jog Hz does not run off potentiometer). I could run the jog at 120 hz , if I wanted to. I am hoping I can tweak the jog Hz to an acceptable balance of speed and power. For deceleration, it also has a small built in breaking resistor ... I may play with that as well.

Also possible on mine to set a couple different Hz settings for the run mode. I suppose a person could select an appropriate Hz for tapping and toggle that off of a switch ... A for normal mode, B for tapping speed.

Is this the used VFD that you were having issues getting unlocked?
                              Last edited by Mister ED; 03-12-2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X