tool order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post

I see no reason contractors can't fill in similarly for the Canadian Postal Service. In fact it makes sense.
    The scenario you described above has been a part of the Canadian landscape here for years as well.

Doc's description of the burgeoning porch pirate situation is another unfortunate artifact from the growing online shopping and home delivery trend. Unfortunately criminals are adaptive to new opportunities.

This could also be a new opportunity for someone to devise a secure and safe delivery system or package reception device.
    Not as much fun as the remotely triggered exploding dog-poop package but more lucrative I'm sure.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

There have been some proposal for a secure safe like box on the front porch.
      Problem is some packages may be as much as 3'x3'x3' or larger.
      You would need a giant safe box.
      I get package delivery every day of the week here in FLL from Amazon including USPS,UBER UPS and FEDEX.
      Bill
      I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

I hear ya Bill, it's not that easy of a cookie to crack due to a wide variety of packages shapes and sizes, not everyone wants a huge steel box bolted to their porch. Bringing it inside presents another set of issues. Then there will be issues with some folks depositing lord knows what into them.

If it was easy it would have been done already. Limited/authorized access and transparency is going to be key for it to succeed.

Comment

... and video... I have seen atleast a dozen videos posted on Facebook titled something like, "This low life scumbag thief stole a package off my porch. Anybody recognize them?" Some of the video is quite good. Its amazing how much progress has been made in CCTV quality with the advent of multi megapixel IP cameras, wide dynamic range, and day night capabilities. Even starlight has gotten somewhat affordable.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I live off the beaten path, and don't expect overnight delivery for anything, but the last 2 KBC orders I made around 2:30 and they were on my porch when I got home from work the next day. The funny thing is KBC never even billed me for them until a couple weeks later. I'm assuming because of their billing cycles. The second funny thing is that the prices were reasonable too, compared with other suppliers I usually deal with. KBC has actually made it back into the lineup for places I want to do business with.

On the other side of the coin there was a mailer bag in my mailbox last night and I thought it odd as I don't have any outstanding orders from anywhere that I could remember. Checked the postmark and it was 9-25-2017. Was a couple rectifiers I'd bought off amazon and totally wrote off as being lost at sea, or deadbeat seller scam. I'd already ordered them from Banggood and received them already. Would love to hear their story....
            Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 03-15-2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
              I hear ya Bill, it's not that easy of a cookie to crack due to a wide variety of packages shapes and sizes, not everyone wants a huge steel box bolted to their porch. Bringing it inside presents another set of issues. Then there will be issues with some folks depositing lord knows what into them.

If it was easy it would have been done already. Limited/authorized access and transparency is going to be key for it to succeed.
              Amazon does offer this: https://www.amazon.com/b?&node=17285...l_6g315nr7xg_e

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                That's great, I wasn't aware of that, makes sense as it is definitely an issue.

However what would be nice is a system that spans multiple carriers. Between Canada Post and all of the various couriers that drop parcels off at my door from numerous online vendors, I'd have to reinforce the front door and it's hinges in order to hold all of the new security hardware.

Perhaps they could all utilize a universal security system, the same key for multiple couriers Naah that won't fly, that would mean they would all have to collaborate together on a plan that would be mutually beneficial.

Comment

Working...
                X