Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the secret for getting this apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the secret for getting this apart?

On a Bridgeport Mill the collar around the feed reversing shaft.
    There is a ball in there that won't let the collar slide off and I can't get the ball out.

In the parts diagram it shows a set screw and key opposite the ball, and a snap ring on the shaft.
    Above the ball is a spring and screw.
    I would post a picture if I knew an easy way.
    Larry

Comment

Join the club. I'm dealing with the exact same problem. Will be keeping track of this thread as I also want to know how to solve this dilemma.

Comment

If it is the one I am thinking of I inserted some tubing connected to compressed air. Hit the air and slowly pull it out. It creates suction that may pull the ball with it.
        Worked for me. once. didn't on the second one.

Think I had to order a magnet for the second one.

Comment

Common problem. Stupid frustrating design.. Hit the ball with a thin grinding stone in a dremel. it will bounce out at some point.

Comment

I recently helped my brother remove that shaft due to the pin thru BP shaft (part # 57 in their manual) being shot.

We had quite a time with that 3/16" ball. Air pressure, a small magnet, nothing seemed to work. I was finally able to use a tiny pointed (& curved) dental pick wedged into the seat between the ball and the shaft, after a good cleaning with brake cleaning fluid. When the ball came out, it was magnetized nearly as much as the tiny circular magnet we had earlier used to try to extract the ball with.

Dan L
            Salem, Oregon

Comment

Can you move the reversing shaft? If it isn't stuck solid, you can squirt solvent, etc into the hole on top of the ball, then apply hand pressure on the ball with a punch, or similar and while doing that move the shaft back and forth between fwd and rev. This should get the ball moving and your chance of getting it to fall out is much higher.

I've only worked on clones, so if this isn't the detent ball or a real BP isn't quite the same my thoughts may be completely irrelevant.
              Southwest Utah

Comment

Yes it's the detent ball for the Forward/reverse quill feed.
                I have tried penetrating oil and brake clean and lot of high pressure air to clean it up.
                The ball is moving free, always was. I have some 6 mm diameter rare earth magnets that fit in the hole. I thought for sure that would pull it out but no joy.
                I'll try some suction next. I can't figure what's holding it.

Comment

I never did get mine out. I was just checking for wear, cleaning and painting. I tried magnets, scribes, upholstery needles, vibrator, air blast all the while moving the shaft. The ball seems loose but I couldn't get it out.

I didn't think of that but the vacuum idea sounds good. If it works, I'll break out my A/C service pump and give it a try. Keep us posted!

Comment

I don't have that machine, but sometimes a detent ball can be retracted by using some shim stock between the collar and shaft. You may have to work it back and forth to roll the ball onto the shim. This works well for taking things like tap handles apart.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Could the ball be stainless (non-magnetic)? Perhaps you could put a dab of very sticky, fast-drying adhesive on the end of an 1/8th inch welding rod, give it a few minutes and pull it? E6000 comes to mind.
                      Southwest Utah

Comment

You realize that when it does come out it will shoot like a rocket to the darkest corner of the shop, never to be seen again.

Comment

12 posts and not one suggestion to use a BFH...sad.

Comment

The simple reason the ball gets stuck is the hole wears bigger. You usually need to "shock" it to get it loose. Flip the shaft over and use the "other side" when reassembling.

Comment

Update
                              I got the ball out but I don't recommend you use my method. I split the collar to remove it. It's easy enough to make a new collar.
                              But I still couldn't get the ball out so I drilled a small hole right next to it and it popped out and shot like a rocket to the darkest corner of the shop, never to be seen again.

Shortly afterwards I found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJLumCFy0Q

The reason for all this work is because the quill feed wouldn't lock in. There is a bushing that a spring loaded pin drops into to lock it.
                              That bushing was worn. I knocked it out and rotated it 180°. Works now.

Comment

Working...
                              X