Stephen Hawking has passed away at 76

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
    ... but little has been said of his subtle sense of humor and his powers of expression. ...
    I would suggest he had a very healthy sense of humor. He had multiple cameo appearances in The Simpsons, Futurama, and The Big Bang Theory.
    There's even an IMDB page on him.

Comment

My wife was pretty bummed out about it yesterday. One of her hero's for sure. Probably even on her "list of 5"....

I've read a couple of his books (theory of everything, brief history of time), and while fascinating to think about (and they do make you think and question), much of the content and subject matter is above my pay grade. Halfway through Guy Clarke's biography right now, and when done I'll probably pick up one of the Hawking books again and give it another read through. I always admired his ability to play the cards that were dealt to him (even though I understand there was a different man behind the public image)

I guess now he knows.

Comment

I often wonder about people like Hawkings with terrible disabilites and brilliant minds. I had a friend who passed away a couple of years ago. He had a disease like muscular dystrophy that should have killed him before the age of 15 and he was confined to a wheelchair. Instead he got a PHD in nuclear physics at 21 and was absolutely brilliant. He was a researcher in gamma ray detection. He switched jobs when he realized his employer was taking advantage of him. At the new company he quickly solved a manufacturing problem that kept the yield on detectors very low. Then he invented a new type of plastic to greatly reduce the cost of making the detectors. I was fortunate to have worked with him on various projects.

Comment

this actually came on right after the star trek vid - to me it was very well worth watching...

https://youtu.be/Px5nokKPCVs

Comment

I stumbled on Roger Penrose's obit of Stephen Hawking; this is worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...wking-obituary

Comment

[QUOTE=Dan Dubeau;

I guess now he knows.[/QUOTE]

Or does he?

Funny, the day he died I was talking to my 8 yr old about Hawking, and said he had a gift for making the difficult simple for everyone else... but it was still 'above my pay grade'. Could never quite wrap my mind around light cones.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                I often wonder about people like Hawkings with terrible disabilites and brilliant minds.
                -I've always wondered if some of those people, Hawking specifically, would have been quite as brilliant without the disability.

After all, Hawking's disability basically confined him to a wheelchair relatively early on, and robbed him of even speech not long after that. There's no question the man was already smart, but after a while, he literally could do little more than read and think.

Plus, as several obituaries have noted, there was the time factor of the illness itself- Hawking knew his time was limited, and had been told early on that he only had a very few years to live. That, naturally, tends to focus ones' thoughts, and it was reported that he entered into a sort of challenge with another man in part because of it. To produce such-and-such a breakthrough or discovery before, well, before he died.

Would he have done that as a hale and healthy man? Would he have spent quite as much time in thought and analysis if he'd been able to walk and move?

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                (even though I understand there was a different man behind the public image)
                -Unfortunately, very much so. As one might expect, there were many times that, "behind the scenes", as it were, he was a bitter, angry man, abusive to his caregivers, and so on.

Not pleasant to think about, to be sure, but also unfortunately kind of understandable.

Doc.
                Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                X