Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Tribute to 125cc Honda RC148 5-cylinder Grand Prix bike (ca 1965)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Tribute to 125cc Honda RC148 5-cylinder Grand Prix bike (ca 1965)

"...A normal rev limit of 21,500rpm – and another 500rpm still left for the last-lap dash to the line – an eight-speed gearbox and a race weight of 85kg (187lb) mean that the Honda “five” was the absolute limit of motorcycle engineering in 1965."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fea...cc-grand-prix/

Edit: my title obscures the fact that the article is really a tribute to both the bike and its rider:

Luigi Taveri, died March 1, 2018 at the age of 88.
    Last edited by tlfamm; 03-16-2018, 08:13 PM.

got nothing but respect...

Comment

Just the very idea of an eight speed gearbox says volumes about the power band. And the interview with Luigi Taveri confirms how fussy the bike was.

It wasn't only Honda that was good at that time in motorcycle racing history at coming up with fantastic mechanical solutions. They were undoubtedly one of the better companies that did so but there was a lot of powerfully shaping developments around that time that set the stage for the introduction for the introduction of serious sport bikes do come a little later.

Thanks for this off topic topic. Well worth the read and the watch.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

think of a little lame weedwacker engine stalling out on a few tall weeds, now think of 5 of them in-line, yeah much better but still el-lamo deluxo when trying to power a motorcycle and rider,,, then there's the in-line 5 cylinder honda weedwacker -- totally different beast lol

Comment

I have quite the collection of memorabilia and history on not only the RC148 but also the 250cc 6 cylinder RC166. Honda being at the forefront of a lot of technological advancements at the time captured my imagination.
          However Suzuki and Yamaha were also a very serious contender in the GP battles at the time and also came out with some amazingly brilliant and fast bikes.
          The Italians in the forms of MV Agusta, Benelli, Ducati,also broke a lot of new ground, and who can forget the water cooled Moto Guzzi V-8s?

Truly a golden age in motorcycle GP racing and all of the technological advancements that sprung from the intense competition of that era.

Thanks for the memories.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

No shade on the 148 but just an interesting insite into the 166 by Kevin Cameron;
            https://www.cycleworld.com/calming-c...cylinder-racer
            Len

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
              think of a little lame weedwacker engine stalling out on a few tall weeds, now think of 5 of them in-line, yeah much better but still el-lamo deluxo when trying to power a motorcycle and rider,,, then there's the in-line 5 cylinder honda weedwacker -- totally different beast lol
              But think of those weed whackers being tuned within a very narrow RPM range to put out by far the very best power of any weed whacker in all of weed whackerdom. And as you pointed out at the end THAT is what Honda did.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Now consider that the wackers are usually 12-14k rpm!

Comment

No way this is OT.
                  Can you imagine how many machinists, pattern makers, foundry men and engineers it took go pull this off?
                  Totally machine shop related..
                  Rode my 44 year old Honda 4 today...

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                    Now consider that the wackers are usually 12-14k rpm!

2 stroke maybe but not 4

the honda 5 cly is a 4 stroke

the 4 stroke weed wackers are rapping out at approximately 1/3rd what the honda 5 was achieving...
                    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 03-17-2018, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Pretty amazing technology, a double overhead cam 5cyl. 125cc engine whose sweet spot hovered between 21-22,000 rpm.
                      This well over 50 years ago!

Last edited by Willy; 03-17-2018, 12:55 AM.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                          2 stroke maybe but not 4

the honda 5 cly is a 4 stroke

the 4 stroke weed wackers are rapping out at approximately 1/3rd what the honda 5 was achieving...
                          Look at the 4-mix from Stihl. I own/owned several of them. Just looked it up 10,500-12k rpm (lower is the "spec but they run hotter), ignition limited so when you break a line (the load) the don't blow up. Max power on a 130 is at 8500. The big blowers are a paltry 7200rpm (full load rpm, limited).

But I was saying the Honda is very cool!
                          Last edited by lakeside53; 03-17-2018, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                            Pretty amazing technology, a double overhead cam 5cyl. 125cc engine whose sweet spot hovered between 21-22,000 rpm.
                            This well over 50 years ago!

Lotta magnesium in that photo!
                            This thread is awesome!
                            Thanx to the OP for the link, story and good read, and also the Cameron link. He's always a good read.

Comment

Used to Motocross alot in the mid-late '70s at Redbud & if you put a 125 alone on the track he always had a quicker time than a 250 but put both & the 250 always won. My buddy rode a YZ125 & pistons came in a little 6 pack. Later had a Valkyrie & loved it, hit 160 mph with lots of throttle left but with no windscreen thought I going to blow off & I promised Mom I bring our son back. Awesome engineering back them I think my buddy's YZ redlined at 14,000 rpm if I recall correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X