Best grit for belt disc sander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on your desired result!
    This knife was cut out with an inexpensive piaster cutter and then shaped and polished on a belt sander.
    I started with 60 grit, stepped down thru 150, 400 and ended with 600. Then used black polish stick on a cloth wheel. Has a mirror finish.
    The steel is L6 from a 3 foot diameter saw blade. It's about 55-60 Rockwell.
    Waxed it after polishing.
    [IMG]httpgs://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/150x100q90/905/FJjv0F.jpg[/IMG]
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

More!
      I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
        Depends on your goals. Slight deburring or serious material removal.
        For serious material removal 6000 to 8000 feet per min and 2 HP.
        If you're looking for something strictly for deburring try the 3M deburring wheels.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241548&rt=rud

They do a far better job than any disk or belt sander. I use them on a long arm buffer something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Queen-City-...EAAOSwepJXUk57

Comment

Those are my main go-to deburring wheels. I use a Baldor buffer for the reach extension.

Comment

I think the last time I ordered belts for my 6X48 belt sander I got 36 grit and ordered them in zircon abrasive. They last forever but you need to be careful as they are pretty aggressive.

Brian
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up ordering 80 grit Zirconia belts and 60 grit Zirconia discs from Red Label Abrasives.

Comment

Why limit yourself to one grit?

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                  Why limit yourself to one grit?
                  Who is limiting themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                    Who is limiting themselves?
                    I'm limited
                    To change the belt I have to maneuver the 250lbs belt grinder sideways to gain space for changing the belt.
                    (and the belts cost about 25 usd per piece so can't afford huge stock)

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                      I'm limited
                      To change the belt I have to maneuver the 250lbs belt grinder sideways to gain space for changing the belt.
                      (and the belts cost about 25 usd per piece so can't afford huge stock)
                      Ah, changing a belt is a cinch. Removing adhesive discs, cleaning the mounting plate, and perfectly aligning and pressing a new adhesive disc is a PITA. At least it was for me.

Comment

Ah, changing a belt is a cinch. Removing adhesive discs, cleaning the mounting plate, and perfectly aligning and pressing a new adhesive disc is a PITA. At least it was for me.
                        Yes they are a pain to change,I use Citrol to remove glue from disc.The Band helps a lot for new install.

Comment

Hey, I like that band idea. Thanks, I'm going to steel it and I'm not giving it back!

EDIT: I also use a heat gun on an old disc and get it nice and hot before pealing it off.
                          Last edited by ; 03-19-2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Hey, I like that band idea. Thanks, I'm going to steel it and I'm not giving it back!

EDIT: I also use a heat gun on an old disc and get it nice and hot before pealing it off.
                            Only thing wrong with that band it's not around a 36" disc,I keep looking,I had a hard time finding 24" up Great White North.

Comment

There are tales told in knifemaking circles that 3m feathering adhesive is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to fitting abrasive discs. Its supposed to hold securely but still release cleanly with no fuss. Could be worth a shot, never had need to try it myself

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
                                Depends on your desired result!
                                This knife was cut out with an inexpensive piaster cutter and then shaped and polished on a belt sander.
                                I started with 60 grit, stepped down thru 150, 400 and ended with 600. Then used black polish stick on a cloth wheel. Has a mirror finish.
                                The steel is L6 from a 3 foot diameter saw blade. It's about 55-60 Rockwell.
                                Waxed it after polishing.
                                [IMG]httpgs://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/150x100q90/905/FJjv0F.jpg[/IMG]
                                That link does not show the picture. It gives the option to download, but I don't trust just any ol link, even from someone like Seastar.
                                North Central Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                                X