Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring Question - "2-phase" Power

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    "I see nothing!"

    Sergeant Schultz

    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

    Comment


    • #17
      Oops. One of those things were the site doesn't allow anyone to hotlink to their pics. Sorry.
      Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

      Comment


      • #18
        In the days of Alt.cnc I was the power problem guru. Nowadays the noise level is so high it isn’t any fun. I guess I am not an expert in anything as I never got degrees, licenses, or papers, mostly as I was too busy learning new stuff.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
          In the days of Alt.cnc I was the power problem guru. Nowadays the noise level is so high it isn’t any fun. I guess I am not an expert in anything as I never got degrees, licenses, or papers, mostly as I was too busy learning new stuff.
          OK Gary, would you agree, disagree or have something to add to the posts here so far? Were we right when we said he'd be OK if he set the jumpers properly?

          Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

          Location: SF East Bay.

          Comment


          • #20
            Electricians are not the ultimate reservoir of knowledge. Nor is J Tiers.

            And the practice of a single country, even the almighty USA, is not definitive.



            Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
            OMG not this again. J Tiers is 100% correct. In this country in modern times, its 3 wire 3 phase, 2 wire single phase and in some parts of the East coast they still have some old 4 wire true 2 phase. You folks who are keyboard experts.... keep on typing. The electricians in the group know what is what.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

            And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by danlb View Post
              OK Gary, would you agree, disagree or have something to add to the posts here so far? Were we right when we said he'd be OK if he set the jumpers properly?

              Dan
              Yeah no problem. Just amazed at how far it goes.

              Despite the fact I have been building control panels for 50 years or maybe because of that, I committed the cardinal sin of wiring up my homebuilt CNC without a wiring diagram or numbering the wires. It worked just fine and it was very neatly done. However 3 years have gone by and I wanted to make some changes and doing so is going to be really difficult without a proper diagram. Imagine what happens if I am gone and it stops working. No one could easily fix it and it might wind up as scrap. So I spent three days of my vacation this week on tracing it all out and not quite finishing the drawings instead of doing the new wiring I wanted done!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                Electricians are not the ultimate reservoir of knowledge. Nor is J Tiers.

                And the practice of a single country, even the almighty USA, is not definitive.
                Nope, but in this case, the math and physics is what is calling the shots..... A dog is not a donkey just because it is common practice to use the term to refer to a dog (if it is anywhere).

                Remember... you can have high leg 3 phase, where two of the wires are the exact same as with 240V single phase...... yet they are part of a 3 phase system, and in that the three wires are referred to as three "phase wires'. There is no difference whatsoever in the voltages or phase angles between the action of those 3 wires in that 3 phase system vs in standard 240V single phase. In that case it is the reference point that changes.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

                Comment


                • #23
                  Matters of phase in electrical systems are summarized nicely here:

                  https://ctlsys.com/support/electrica..._and_voltages/

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X