belt grinder DO not come with motor ! seriously ON TOPIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Davek0974 View Post
    This is all presumption but I would hazard a guess that this is not made in a professional production environment - more like myself - a home-shop micro business. The item does not look professional, does not even come with a motor! - This of course negates them from any issues with electrical safety etc but does mean you are selling a part-finished product.

Marketing expenses? Ebay is free until you get an order, even then it works out pretty much ok for most products.

There are far better finished machines than that for similar money WITH a motor fitted and (hopefully) aligned and tested.

I would plasma cut all the shaped parts, use steel throughout, MIG weld, minimal jigs needed, bearings are 10 a penny, very little to machine.

I know where I'd put my money if i wanted one.

Better get busy then. There is a demand, somebody's got to fill it.
    Your first machine is all but sold. Alistair is waiting.....

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
      Better get busy then. There is a demand, somebody's got to fill it.
      Your first machine is all but sold. Alistair is waiting.....
      If there was, I would probably make one, or two

Aside from all this, nobody has mentioned that the listing shows TWO different machines, the small two-wheel and the large rubber wheel machine are not the same design, the rubber one is shown powered by an angle grinder.
      If it does'nt fit, hit it.
      https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk
      http://www.davekearley.co.uk

Comment

OK Dave I have a plan. You build one with motor as you say and I will buy it for 700pounds and sell it to Alistair for 999pounds. You are happy, I am happy and Alistair is thrilled!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
          in the states you have kits for several hundreds $. here you dont. and a couple of hours build time? may be, if done by robots. its all in the production numbers. you can get several pcs of tvs for that price. but if i had somebody come in and fix the hydraulic pump on the sg, thats whad i would expect to pay.
          motor included, lot heavier built, better equipped one from german ebay is 900 eur vs the 1500eur madness-version we are talking in here.

Comment

show me, i never came accross a 2 x 72 on ebay.de.

edit. i see its not a 72, so that grinder has a problem, it uses a weird belt size.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
              show me, i never came accross a 2 x 72 on ebay.de.

edit. i see its not a 72, so that grinder has a problem, it uses a weird belt size.
              To me it looks like it would probably adapt to 72" belt size (very) easily.

BTW the ebay seller linked on first post has also much similar looking one but WAY more cheaper:
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KNIFE-MAK...UAAOSwHLNZXl7N

Comment

Powered by an angle grinder! The guys from Forged In Fire recommend a 2 to 3 hp motor for a 2x72 belt.
                Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                  To me it looks like it would probably adapt to 72" belt size (very) easily.

BTW the ebay seller linked on first post has also much similar looking one but WAY more cheaper:
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KNIFE-MAK...UAAOSwHLNZXl7N
                  It looks to me that it is the same unit minus the two aluminum extrusions for a base. That makes no sense to me. BUT Dave our deal is off. I will buy the cheap one then add the extrusions myself and sell it to Alistair for 999pounds and make a bigger profit.

Alistair you need to send me a deposit for your new belt grinder. 50% will be enough, I trust you!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    It looks to me that it is the same unit minus the two aluminum extrusions for a base. That makes no sense to me. BUT Dave our deal is off. I will buy the cheap one then add the extrusions myself and sell it to Alistair for 999pounds and make a bigger profit.

Alistair you need to send me a deposit for your new belt grinder. 50% will be enough, I trust you!
                    LOL, bugger, I just ordered all the bits for it

BTW my gutless wonder-grinder has a 1kw motor on it and it can be stalled just by holding a lump of steel near the belt, modern motors are nothing on old ones it seems, I might build one of these anyway and put a proper Brook-Crompton or some-such quality old motor on it like my wheel grinder - unstoppable
                    If it does'nt fit, hit it.
                    https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk
                    http://www.davekearley.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Davek0974 View Post
                      LOL, bugger, I just ordered all the bits for it

BTW my gutless wonder-grinder has a 1kw motor on it and it can be stalled just by holding a lump of steel near the belt, modern motors are nothing on old ones it seems, I might build one of these anyway and put a proper Brook-Crompton or some-such quality old motor on it like my wheel grinder - unstoppable
                      Yes a 1kw motor is too small for a useful belt grinder. Mine has a 2.5kw motor and could use more actually. It is a 50 x 2000mm unit.

Comment

If your looking to build one check out the EERF grinder. Plans can be found on google that can be taken to someone that can water jet or plasma cut the main pieces. I can't figure out how to post pics here or I would show you mine.
                        Last edited by Jeremy Evans; 03-20-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

B Forest you made a typo surely, I would be happier with $99.99 surely that's what you meant? Al and don't forget B Forest is not maybe so far off when you compare all the hours at USA or UK cost in factors high rent wages etc it does all add up. The problem is B Forest most of us now look at something like this which is obviously shop made, with no logo meaning no back up or guarantee or warranty, in other words you b f are measuring this product along with well made brand names and most of us see right away it doesn't stand up to that and should be more in line with sub Asian pricing. IMHO So When B. F. makes something for someone he is using his own higher end hourly rate which fits the market where he has his location. Engineers should of course like all skilled men be paid a good remunerative income where they are situated ,but if those same skilled me suddenly went to India etc for a year they could not rightly expect to command the same salary he she was used to in their own environment. This product has a lot to make people wary even put them off as named one is after service warranty???? Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Damn Al, I am going to have to agree with you and you must realize how much that hurts me!

Comment

I've watched a lot of DIY 2" x 72" belt grinder videos but this one by Jeremy Schmidt is by far the best designed and his is the best presentation of the process - and he offers plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_RlL1O-bK4

The grinder he builds in the video series is the most robust and simplest yet the most versatile I've seen. Jeremy is a very bright young man and has his project very well worked out with gizmos for everything. If you wish to build a 2" z 72" belt grinder spend the money and buy these plans. You can add your own creative touches if you wish but start with something proven to be workable. The powerful ODP motor and VFD he suggests are very important convenience features in my opinion.

If pulleys and machined items are a handicap there are component offerings on eBay ($$$).
                              Last edited by Forrest Addy; 03-21-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

so the one i built (see thread) is not the best after all?

Comment

Working...
                                X