Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goose View Post
    Emory cloth is nasty.
    I have some old Emery Cloth but since the invention of Aluminium Oxide crystal manufacturing methods the mining industry, primarily on Naxos in Greece, for Corrundum has collapsed and Emery Cloth, even if that name is uses, is not the product it was until the mid 1980s
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
      You don't list which country you are in, but since MattiJ is from Europe, I suspect the grits he referred to are P80 to P3000 using the FEPA P scale. If
      you are in the US, you might be accustomed to the CAMI scale. A P400 grit is not the same as a 400 grit. Here's a chart that compares the scales:
      http://www.fingerlakeswoodturners.co...Comparison.pdf
      Thanks for that. As I looked at the chart, I realized that most of them are very close together, and that it won't matter if I pick the P80 instead of the 80. 5 microns difference is not likely to be noticed for a hack like me. If I can't find 80 I'm just as likely to attack it with 100 or 60.
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
        Thanks for that. As I looked at the chart, I realized that most of them are very close together, and that it won't matter if I pick the P80 instead of the 80. 5 microns difference is not likely to be noticed for a hack like me. If I can't find 80 I'm just as likely to attack it with 100 or 60.
        True, but if you're at the other end of the scale trying for a finer finish, moving from an 800 to a P1000 will set you back. P1000 ~= CAMI 500.

Comment

I use really rough, rough, kinda rough, smoother, smooth, really smooth and really really smooth. Sorry I could not resist.

Comment

Is any cloth backed roll technically Emery?

Comment

How was the cost? How would I get this packet. If in Canada, I am not confident about using Amazon. Out here in radio land, what are your comments about this? Thanks for any help, Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
                Is any cloth backed roll technically Emery?
                Not sure what you mean, like is all of the cloth backed rolls called emery cloth? or is there any makers left that still actually use emery?

Emery is a type of mineral (non-pure aluminium oxide) mostly mined from island of Naxos (in Greek) and Turkey but nowadays most? of the "abrasive cloths" use one of the man-made abrasives like aluminium oxide or silicon carbide.
                AFAIK emery cloth is sort of colloquial name for almost any sort of coarse-ish abrasive cloth.

Comment

Working...
                X