X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adaptation for new cars foot brake.

Alistair Hosie
    1 second ago
    Sorry but I am desperate to find this out . I recently bought a C class estate cat uk spec, anyway I live quite a distance from the showroom ,and know them very well. When it arrived I took it on a test and everything seems fine but anyway my wife Bron just turned 70 has to use walking sticks to help her as she has back problems. She and I find the parking brake a poor design and wonder why they made it foot operated anyway, my wife has great difficulty using the parking foot operated brake. It is set too high etc and she has to lift her leg quite high up to get her foot on top of it this causes a lot of pain for her. I am quite confident with my machine work etc and am thinking of making an adaption with a long lever which could be used by hand for her set of course at the appropriate height. It would not be a permanent fit and could be quickly installed and removed with a few nuts and bolts what do you guys think. Al in Scotland
    Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 03-21-2018, 04:54 AM.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Why are you using the emergency brake? I only use those in vehicles with a manual transmission. No reason to in a vehicle with an auto transmission.
    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
      Why are you using the emergency brake? I only use those in vehicles with a manual transmission. No reason to in a vehicle with an auto transmission.
      Alistair doesn't specify Manual or Automatic in his post but in the UK Manual is still the default for the majority of models ;-)

If you take your test in an Automatic you have to re-take your test before you are legal in a manual car!
      If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Magicniner View Post
        Alistair doesn't specify Manual or Automatic in his post but in the UK Manual is still the default for the majority of models ;-)

If you take your test in an Automatic you have to re-take your test before you are legal in a manual car!
        I was guessing if it is a problem to lift your foot for an emergency brake, lifting the same leg for a clutch pedal would be more of a problem?
        Andy

Comment

The emergency brake is normally used for parking and engaged when stopped. Any way you engage it would be fine as long as it can be engaged sufficient to prevent the vehicle from rolling and can be released when one wanted to go again. It would be beneficial if you design the hand operation so it can be engaged in an emergency too.

i run a mix of vehicles that are manual and automatic transmissions. I very rarely use the emergency brake. The parking pawls of the automatics have gotten very good and if the manual transmissions are put into the lowest gear they won't move unless on a steep slope.

Comment

Here's a shot of the interior. The bright spot high on the left is the parking/emergency brake pedal. It is much higher than the regular pedals:

Comment

Small 12v compressor and cylinder would be quick and easy. Alternative would be a motorized linear actuator.
              https://www.google.pt/aclk?sa=l&ai=D...9aACCFc&adurl=
              Helder Ferreira
              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                Small 12v compressor and cylinder would be quick and easy. Alternative would be a motorized linear actuator. .
                Except that most brakes of this type are 'push-on' - 'push-off'. It would be tedious trying to get that with an actuator but I suppose one could disable the ratchet lock.
                Southwest Utah

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
                  . . .if the manual transmissions are put into the lowest gear they won't move unless on a steep slope.
                  That's what I thought, until my little old Nissan pickup slowly rolled away in first gear on a fairly mild slope!
                  Southwest Utah

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                    This is a terrible suggestion. Every year, there are dozens and dozens of cases of people being run over by their own cars because they don't use the e-brake. Don't rely on the parking pawl in your slushbox. Just last year some actor got ran over by his own jeep.... in that case there was a recall on the shifter mechanism that would show false "park" indications, but it still happens all the time to people who instinctively throw the car in "park" and don't check to see if it's actually engaged.

Comment

Maybe you could make a hand actuated extension that folds up out of the way when not in use?
                      Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Royldean View Post
                        This is a terrible suggestion. Every year, there are dozens and dozens of cases of people being run over by their own cars because they don't use the e-brake. Don't rely on the parking pawl in your slushbox. Just last year some actor got ran over by his own jeep.... in that case there was a recall on the shifter mechanism that would show false "park" indications, but it still happens all the time to people who instinctively throw the car in "park" and don't check to see if it's actually engaged.
                        I've always been in the habit of setting the parking brake before I get out of the car, if only for a few seconds. The problems with some cars (mainly Jeeps, as far as I know) popping out of Park & into Reverse only reinforces the wisdom of this decision.

About 14 years ago, I was standing right next to a pickup truck, with trailer attached, when I heard a "ping" and turned around to see the truck start rolling down my driveway. It had popped out of Park and started rolling down hill. I asked the owner why the hail didn't he have the parking brake on? Only got a shoulder shrug. Luckily, there was no damage in this instance except to a couple of fence posts, but it could easily have been much worse.

Comment

I've been using the Pedalmaster everyday for the last 3 years, works good,
                          on and off in seconds.
                          http://peddlemaster.com/
                          Larry

Comment

The Honda CRV, among others, has a dash mounted hand lever for actuating the parking brake. It works great and it keeps the area between the seats clear. I recall that the old Corvair had a similar dash handle, and no doubt others before that.

Someone could potentially adapt something similar to the foot pedal. You could mock up and refine the geometry with a sheet of foam or cardboard, and then maybe wood before your final build. It is possible you could do this with something as simple as a rigidly attached extension. Hopefully there would be space available for the swing, without incorporating the complexity of a secondary pivot.

I think you would need to be cautious about how you transfer the force to the pedal. Often the arm is a C-shaped channel. With the weight reduction efforts applied to modern vehicles, any drilling or application of force mid-beam could result in a fatigue failure.

For those who never use the parking brake.. The cables tend to encrust with rust and seize if not regularly used. Oh, you'll still be able to apply the parking brake, but you may not be able to release it. I don't have much faith in the Park transmission setting to hold a vehicle.

Comment

Hi VPT Wheels answered your question I thought I made it clear it was much higher sorry. Also it is a manual transmission, To explain there is a foot brake which can be used if pushed or pumped twice it sets a parking brake and is very good trouble comes when parking on a slope as you cannot leave the foot brake operating when you switch off the motor or engine. The height is a problem even for me as lifting your leg so high causes me discomfort or pain also, heaven knows what it must be like for Bronwen. Thanks to everyone, I think it might be more practical or prudent to use the foot brake hold it has a fancy name I will have to look it up. I never dreamed of this scenario when I bought it. I will study it more and let you guys know the outcome. Showroom said park on the flat and leave it in gear. we'll see . Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X