No announcement yet.

Pile O'Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice haul. I bet if you made a picnic table out of those it would never get stolen

Passed up a monster deal at a farm auction a couple years ago. The guy had 4 huge piles and racks of pretty much every shape, and size of tubing, and plate a guy could ever want, or need. Lifetime supply. It went for super cheap, and I was bidding against 1 other guy, and could tell he was getting ready to bow out and I wasn't anywhere near what I felt comfortable paying yet. Then it hit me like a sack of potatoes. I had to have it all moved by the end of the weekend. Just like that, I shook my head nope, I'm out. When the "gavel fell" I chuckled and said to him "have fun moving it" lol. and that's when I think it hit him too . My Dad who was with me was curious why I let it go too, but was pretty relieved when I told him. It probably would have been over 10 trips back and forth to my place (which was just down the road), and a lot of "bustin ass" just to move all that steel a couple miles, where it would sit for hopefully a long time, before "my" farm auction.

A scrap pile is nice to have, if it's organized and you can find that perfect piece of tube or pipe you need, but if it's just a heap of rusty junk it's worth more as scrap.

Comment

Originally posted by JCByrd24 View Post
      Ridiculous find!
      +1.
      Helluva lotta toolholders in there for a QCTP.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
        Nice haul. I bet if you made a picnic table out of those it would never get stolen

Passed up a monster deal at a farm auction a couple years ago. The guy had 4 huge piles and racks of pretty much every shape, and size of tubing, and plate a guy could ever want, or need. Lifetime supply. It went for super cheap, and I was bidding against 1 other guy, and could tell he was getting ready to bow out and I wasn't anywhere near what I felt comfortable paying yet. Then it hit me like a sack of potatoes. I had to have it all moved by the end of the weekend. Just like that, I shook my head nope, I'm out. When the "gavel fell" I chuckled and said to him "have fun moving it" lol. and that's when I think it hit him too . My Dad who was with me was curious why I let it go too, but was pretty relieved when I told him. It probably would have been over 10 trips back and forth to my place (which was just down the road), and a lot of "bustin ass" just to move all that steel a couple miles, where it would sit for hopefully a long time, before "my" farm auction.

A scrap pile is nice to have, if it's organized and you can find that perfect piece of tube or pipe you need, but if it's just a heap of rusty junk it's worth more as scrap.
        Most auctions, winning bidder takes what he wants and walks away from the rest. You could even be nice and tell the other bidder that anything left on Sunday is his for free.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
          I could have easily got this lot of round steel, alum, and brass at a recent auction ...
          Do you know how much it was sold for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
            Do you know how much it was sold for?
            Sorry, I don't recall what the final bid on it was. I was too focused on the items I really wanted. I think it was around $500 but probably sold for higher.

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
              Helluva lotta toolholders in there for a QCTP.....
              It has been a long while since I made my AXA's, but I recall that 1x2" is perfect. I made 20 of them back in the late 90's and wish I had made more. It's such a great luxury having a large assortment of HSS mounted in QC holders. Of course AXA's are pretty reasonably priced.

Eventually I want to make DA size holders for the Pacemaker. I have a few that came with the machine, and they are very expensive. Aloris says they're about 10 lbs each, and 3 1/8" high. I think around 3" wide, and they are lonngg. I also have a BA to tool up. And I need to decide on a CXA or CA for the Lodge & Shipley. Of course there is also multi-fix.

"Sir, what is it you make with this machine?"
              "Tooling for my other machines!"

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                You could even be nice and tell the other bidder that anything left on Sunday is his for free.
                Just make sure you don't forget and decide to pickup on Monday

Comment

Working...
                X