Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: interesting sensory effect from cellphone body when connected to "leaky" charger

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: interesting sensory effect from cellphone body when connected to "leaky" charger

    Interesting. Just noticed that if I slide my fingers slightly against the Iphone 6 metal body it feels like its vibrating.
    Gotta be charger leaking trough EMI-filter caps: So I measured voltage and short circuit current from the usb ground against outlet ground: 204 VAC and 0.11mA. Nothing serious but my guess was right.

    Extremely thin anodizing layer and alternating voltage is ever so slightly modifying the force/friction between fingertip and the surface and I can feel it as a vibration when I slide my finger.

    Electrostatic or Coulombs force at use, the force itself has to be veeery tiny so it's kind of fun that your fingertips can sense it.
    Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

  • #2
    My one does that, it really makes you jump if you have a slither of metal swarf in your finger at the same time you touch it!
    If it does'nt fit, hit it.
    https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk
    http://www.davekearley.co.uk

    Comment


    • #3
      I get the same high frequency vibrating feeling when I slide my fingers on the back of an iPad. It feels like there is friction, then no friction, then friction, then no friction, but like 100's of times a second as you move your finger across it. It's like a singing wine glass when you run your finger around the rim

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
        I get the same high frequency vibrating feeling when I slide my fingers on the back of an iPad. It feels like there is friction, then no friction, then friction, then no friction, but like 100's of times a second as you move your finger across it. It's like a singing wine glass when you run your finger around the rim
        There is actually patent on this thing:
        http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/s...lained-2910843

        The proper film with high voltage source (1kV or so) can really make it feel like that your finger is suddenly glued to the display glass. Its like the glass surface friction coefficient would vary between 0.5 and 15
        Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting. I have an iPhone 6s charging here next to me, but can't detect anything like what you guys are describing on it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Apparently not everyone can sense that.

            For me, the backs of my fingers are very sensitive to the effect. I used to notice it a lot years ago on the metal frame glass cabinets that stores used for the sales clerk's counter. I have also noticed it on laptops if they have a 2 pin plug, or if there is a 2 pin adapter on the cord (nearly 90 year old house).
            CNC machines only go through the motions

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              Apparently not everyone can sense that.

              For me, the backs of my fingers are very sensitive to the effect. I used to notice it a lot years ago on the metal frame glass cabinets that stores used for the sales clerk's counter. I have also noticed it on laptops if they have a 2 pin plug, or if there is a 2 pin adapter on the cord (nearly 90 year old house).
              Back of my fingers are very sensitive for the leakage current itself but thats just ordinary "shock"
              Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

              Comment


              • #8
                I feel it as a vibration, same as you describe, much the same as the change in friction also.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

                Comment


                • #9
                  Has anyone tried putting it down their pants? ---- ???

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    Has anyone tried putting it down their pants? ---- ???
                    If you search teh internets there is probably specific fetish for it..
                    Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                      Has anyone tried putting it down their pants? ---- ???
                      LOL!
                      The above symptoms are vaguely familiar to what i experienced when bitten by a scorpion on my forefinger. Rubbing the top of my hand gently one way felt nothing, but in the other direction, excruciating pain. Weird.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                        If you search teh internets there is probably specific fetish for it..
                        Rule 34 requires it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Things get bizarre quickly when you start searching for "put X down my pants" on the internet...or so I've heard.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            In the days of crt televisions every 3 months I would get a shock horror report from the field that our product was electrocuting someone and what was the specification and testing blah blah had we done. The trend to twin no earth 'double insulated' TVs let them float to half eht and our box was the first thing in the area that was eathed properly so unplugging it when it was still connected to the TV allowed the metal case to float up too. So me the clever specialist engineer could appear nice and important and expert to reassure them all was well.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X