Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: The Cops are coming call from 914-363-5512

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    When an unknown number shows on my caller I.D. I answer with "Jones county police department, how may I help you?"
    So far the telemarketing calls have diminished. If it's not a telemarketer I'm still ok because they say oh... I was trying to reach Mr. (my name).
    I don't even know if there is a Jones county, but it works, the Indians don't know!

    Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by sevenhills View Post
      When an unknown number shows on my caller I.D. I answer with "Jones county police department, how may I help you?"
      So far the telemarketing calls have diminished. If it's not a telemarketer I'm still ok because they say oh... I was trying to reach Mr. (my name).
      I don't even know if there is a Jones county, but it works, the Indians don't know!

      Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
      What happens if the police call? Impersonating a police department will probably result in you having a very hard time renewing your gun permit when the time comes

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Glug View Post
        Merely visiting a site can be sufficient to compromise your system.

        The other problem with engaging those people in any way is that it makes you a target for future callbacks. They've got a "live one" and it is an incentive to try again, whether this scam or a different one. Going at it again with a live one is way better than sifting through dozens of cold call hang ups.
        So after they hung up on me, the conversation between the scammer and his Boss probably went like this:

        "Whoa, that guy just wasted 15 minutes of our time!"

        "Yes, and he uses a Linux computer and is savvy enough to ask about IP addresses!"

        "OK, then. On the 'live one' list he goes!"


        For my system, visiting a site incurs minimal incremental risk. Besides, as I said, I enjoy tweaking them. It's a sort of scamming the scammer.

        Ed
        For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

        Comment


        • #34
          Ten years ago after climbing down from an extension ladder to answer it was a window salesman. I was livid, then thought of something.
          I said sure I'm interested and need about 50 windows replaced. I gave the guy fake everything, name, address, etc. Another salesman called next day needing directions so I sent him on a wild goose chase. He calls back an hour later saying he was lost. I told him take the next right, go about 15 miles then left, etc. Phone rings a couple hours later, my wife answers with "Fleming Mental Hospital, how may I help you?". There was a pause then..."can I speak to Bob again?". Wife says "Oh he's a patient here, not allowed to use the phone. What did he do this time".
          I could hear the guy cursing from the next room!
          The telemarketing calls really slowed after that. My theory is they have a hot list they share with other telemarketers, as well as their own black list not to call.
          That free who's calling app mentioned is good as well as this service, which you can check YouTube for examples...

          http://www.jollyrogertelco.com/

          Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #35
            I just ignore all calls that I don't recognize and hope anyone important leaves a message.
            For me, not leaving a message is the definition of "not important".
            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

            Comment


            • #36
              Maybe this is a time when old technology has an advantage. I remember the old man telling me
              years ago how they got rid of nuisance calls, by taking the separate ear piece and placing it
              carefully over the mouthpiece of the phone.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by sevenhills View Post
                Ten years ago after climbing down from an extension ladder to answer it was a window salesman. I was livid, then thought of something.
                I said sure I'm interested and need about 50 windows replaced. I gave the guy fake everything, name, address, etc. Another salesman called next day needing directions so I sent him on a wild goose chase. He calls back an hour later saying he was lost. I told him take the next right, go about 15 miles then left, etc. Phone rings a couple hours later, my wife answers with "Fleming Mental Hospital, how may I help you?". There was a pause then..."can I speak to Bob again?". Wife says "Oh he's a patient here, not allowed to use the phone. What did he do this time".
                I could hear the guy cursing from the next room!
                The telemarketing calls really slowed after that. My theory is they have a hot list they share with other telemarketers, as well as their own black list not to call.
                That free who's calling app mentioned is good as well as this service, which you can check YouTube for examples...

                http://www.jollyrogertelco.com/

                Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
                Now that is a good one!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                  I just got an awesome voicemail message.

                  http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/voicemail-48.m4a

                  EDIT: Here is the transcript:

                  “We received a notification regarding your tax filings from the headquarters which will get expired in next 24 working hours and once again expired after that you will be taken under custody by the local cops as there are four serious allegations pressed on your name at this moment we would request you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case before taking any legal action against you the number to reach us is 914-363-5512 I repeat 914-363-5512 thank you…”
                  Tell them you'll send the money you owe them right after you get the direct deposit of $10 million you're waiting for from a Nigerian prince.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Frank K View Post
                    Tell them you'll send the money you owe them right after you get the direct deposit of $10 million you're waiting for from a Nigerian prince.
                    What if I already got the $10 million a long time ago, should I lie and say I'm still waiting for it?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Thi morning I called 914-363-5512 and the NYPD showed up. It normally would be an 8 hour drive but they sent helicopters. Now I'm in with this guy. Can anyone post bail?

                      Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        A few months ago I was bored... phone rang.

                        "Hello, this is Bob from computer security and your computer has reported that it has a serious virus."

                        "OH NO... what can I do?"

                        "Do not worry sir, I am here to help you. So first of all, are you near your computer?"

                        "Yes, I'm sitting next to it."

                        "Is it turned on?"

                        "No, let me turn it on..."

                        <wait> <wait>

                        "Sir, has it booted up yet?"

                        "Almost, it's an old machine."

                        <wait> "Ah, okay, it's running now"

                        "Okay Sir. Now, what I would like you to do is to open a web browser."

                        "Which one?"

                        "Do you have internet explorer?"

                        "No"

                        "Do you have chrome?"

                        "No, I do have Safari."

                        "Is your computer a Macintosh?"

                        "Yes"

                        *click*

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I dont answer my phone. Family knows to leave a message on my fancy target answering machine.

                          Same with cell phones, dont answer unless I know the person.

                          I look at it like this. I wasnt tied to a phone till the 90s, wont be tied down now. JR

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I only turn my cell phone on to make a call or I am expecting a call then it is turned off. On the plus side I get three months out of a battery charge.
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

                            Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

                            Southwestern Ontario. Canada

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X