OT- Android Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Android Phone

I have a Consumer Cellular android phone. It comes with Google installed. I went to download a free app, and it redirects me to a google store, and wants me to "sign up" in order to download an app. That's crap! How can I get Firefox on this phone so I don't have to deal with this?

You still have to create a Google store account to download and install applications (free or paid). Same with iPhone. You need to create an iTunes account before you can download and install free applications (free or paid). Just go ahead and create a Google store account. You'll probably have to provide a CC# but it will only be used when you buy paid applications. It won't be used if you just install free applications. You need to create an account to be apart of the application ecosystem.

Comment

We recently switched to Android, great phones but adverts/google is a mild PITA. We created the Google account but didn't put any payment details - keeps it safe and simple.
      If it does'nt fit, hit it.
      https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk
      http://www.davekearley.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Davek0974 View Post
        We recently switched to Android, great phones but adverts/google is a mild PITA. We created the Google account but didn't put any payment details - keeps it safe and simple.
        Some of you guys must be using different Android products than I do. Been using android for 10 years or so. I have a few FREE apps that have ads, but even those have a "pro" ad free version for a buck or two. Of course there are web sites with half a dozen ads on every page, but that's not related to the android OS.

As 3ph bulb said, you need to associate the phone with a google account, but you can create one in the spot just for this purpose. No credit card is needed if you only use free apps.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

you can 'side load' applications. i download the the apk file into a directory in windows then drag and drop it into the android. I just navigating the andriod world for the first time. There are ways to completely avoid google with it, but it'd be kind of like choosing to live in woods with no indoor plumbing. I do not trust google but the device is the lesser of two evils compared to apple, seems like the only now. Everything you go to do on in will either be sending your data to someone or be advertising to you. I just got a new notes 8 thing, snazzy, but man I miss my blackberry. After trying to get used to it for a few weeks, the Samsung is great if you're tween snap chatting, taking selfies and watching TV I suppose, but for business, email, phone and camera, it sucks compared to the BB.
          Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-23-2018, 03:16 PM.
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Could I load the Firefox app on a SIM card and install the t off of it?

How do you download on a PC and drag it to a phone?

By the way, I don't keep my phone hooked to data. I only connect to update and somehow I did download a ringtone without any trouble. I want to download a note app, something I can enter some notes or numbers in.
            Last edited by rws; 03-23-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post
              Could I load the Firefox app on a SIM card and install the t off of it?

How do you download on a PC and drag it to a phone?
              Yes, you can install applications outside of the Google store. You can get the Firefox for Android .apk here:

https://download.mozilla.org/?produc...oid&lang=multi

Download the .apk directly from your device using the URL above, or download and copy the .apk to a MicroSD or whatever removable storage device you might have for your device.

Comment

And the instructions for sideloading Firefox is at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...on-kindle-fire

If you don't mind some advice... Using the google play store provides a nice, easy way to find and install applications. The applications are also updated as needed to correct security flaws, bugs, etc. I recommend using it. There's a good chance that (like many) you are assigning attributes to the google play store that have nothing to do with it's function. The play store does not track you. It does not cost you anything.

Using google search engine, or their mail system will both track various parts of your online life.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I use a Samsung phone and it seems like lately, I have had the number of ads triple.
                  It started after a Samsung update.
                  I think they are selling my information.
                  I received notice of a new update today and I'm afraid to install it.
                  The phone may become unusable.
                  Bill
                  I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Thanks guys. I wish I had the confidence that this google play thing didn't track you, but I don't. Why would they want an email and phone number?

I would have to get a sd card adapter to use the mini(or micro), but I could download using something else then insert the card. Like I said, I don't use the phone as an internet device, just a phone with a little more stuff.

Comment

Thanks guys. I wish I had the confidence that this google play thing didn't track you, but I don't. Why would they want an email and phone number?
                      Just don't become a serial killer and you'll be fine.

I don't use the phone as an internet device, just a phone with a little more stuff.
                      In that case, don't bother installing Firefox

Comment

I would have to get a sd card adapter to use the mini(or micro), but I could download using something else then insert the card. Like I said, I don't use the phone as an internet device, just a phone with a little more stuff.
                        They want an email and phone number just in case you ever do want to buy something. Want me to set up a throw away email address and phone number for you? Both are available from... Google!

Comment

You can plug your phone into the usb port on computer. It will see it as another drive.
                          Gary Davison
                          Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

You don't need to give a phone number IIRC and how can they track you with your email and phone number anyways?
                            Fear not, your exposed more to tracking via your internet browser and CC use by the banks more than anything else.
                            Cheers,
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by gld View Post
                              You can plug your phone into the usb port on computer. It will see it as another drive.
                              So are you saying if I get a USB adapter to fit my phone, I can use a PC to download and transfer it to the phone? That would be easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X