No announcement yet.

OT Barbecue grill propane tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike279, I have several full 40 LB tanks with the old style valves. Could be done, but not convenient to use with the grill.
    RichR Local places charge $20 +or- a few cents.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

You should be aware that the quick exchange at Home Depot and Lowes have 20 lb tanks but they are NOT filled to 20lbs! Look closely at the labels or signs and you will see.

Be careful with transporting those tanks. We heard an explosion outside our shop and saw a car with the windows blown out stopped in the middle of the highway. The car was on fire. We pulled the driver out with his clothes on fire and beat out the flames. The car continued to burn and the leaking propane tank in the trunk never even got hot enough to burn the paint. He died a few days later apparently from breathing hot gases into his lungs.

Comment

No propane cylinder is filled to capacity. 80% is typical max.

Comment

expanding on what garyhlucas said - blue rhino and other convenience store tanks are filled to 80 percent of what other tanks get. somebody always chirps up and says "they're filled to 80 percent to leave room for expansion, STOOO-PID! Read it again, Blue Rhino fills to 80 percent of the industry standard 80 percent - that's 64 percent if you're a math whiz.

AND

they put in a new valve, with a pin that must be depressed to fill the tank. you can't fill a Blue Rhino at a propane refilling station, you can only swap tanks with one of their tanks. you trap yourself into this ongoing scam.

Comment

Not sure what you have, but I fill 20lb Blue Rhino tanks anywhere around here. I swapped several old (expired hydro) for Blue Rhino; I even left a few others for them to save the hassle of disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
              I don't know what propane goes for by you, but last year I took in 2 of the old style tanks to Lowes and exchanged them for full ones for $14 each.
              Hardly seems worth the effort. When you connect the 2 tanks and open the valves, how much gas will you recover, maybe about half of it?
              Do it at -40F in Montana and maybe you can pour from one to the other, if you are quick. Definitely not worth it.

In my youth I might have thought it a good idea to put them beside a fire and have some target practice.

Comment

I 'inherited' several 1 lb tanks in various states of full. They had been rusting away on a window ledge for who knows how long. I had at one time built an adapter and a stand which would let me fill the small tanks, and I also used a scale to help keep the fill rate to 80%. This time I emptied the small ones into a 20 lb tank. All it takes is for the larger tank to be lower and cooler than the smaller ones for the flow to be in the right direction. I never had a problem getting all the propane transferred. I would have used the small tanks as is, but the rusting on them bothered me. No telling when one might give up-

I have three or four of the older 20 lb tanks, which are no longer accepted at filling stations. One is pretty much full, another is about half full. I no longer have the barbecue that would hook up to them, so what am I expected to do with them? I do need to fill my 5 lb tank (has the old style connector) so I need to find the weight of that when filled to 80%.

Ironic this subject has come up again. A few days ago the filling station refused to fill our fork truck tank, and of course it died out in the yard in the rain, where it still sits. Of course it has different threads than either style of 20 lb tank, so we couldn't rig up anything to let us start it and put it away.
                Last edited by darryl; 03-26-2018, 09:14 PM.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Went to the local CVS Pharmacy today and got this deal: Exchange 1 tank for 19.99, and get a spare for an additional 9.99.
                  “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Guys, a 20 lb tank full is 20 lbs of propane in the tank! I have watched my local supplier that fills propane tanks sitting on the scale dozens of times. They tare the scale then fill to 20 lbs. Any thing less is a plain old cheat.

By the way my wife always struggled with measures while cooking, asking about how many table spoons of butter were in one stick. I bought her a gram scale and a book that gave the conversions for almost everything she uses. She liked it so much she converted all her recipes to weight. She cooks very well, and now it is consistently well too.

Comment

Here tanks are not filled to a weight when you take them in for refill (not swap). They are filled until they start discharging excessively and you pay by the gallon/fraction, including what they lost to the discharge

Comment

Working...
                      X