Steam engine project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam engine project

I'm making a steam engine. I bought an air compressor 2 cylinder pump, about 2.4" bore x 2" stroke, 180 deg. crank. I've been collecting things for it, I have a propane boiler, heavy flywheel, etc. It came with a reed valve head which I won't use, I made a head tapped for pipe thread and using copper pipe (pipe within a pipe, close fit) that will either turn or slide off of flywheel for steam timed properly. A few pictures, any thoughts or ideas appreciated.
    My idea is a one way valve so steam goes back into boiler, another valve water into boiler. I'll have a glass level tube on boiler, pressure gauge and pressure relief valve(s). The tricky fabrication will be the inlet-out valve setup for the two cylinders.
    Third picture is Reed head I'm not using.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Interesting project. I build a steam engine from plans (not a kit) and it worked fine on compressed air. I was always going to build a boiler. Steam does not get returned to the boiler, just condensed water and it needs to be pumped in under pressure. Boilers I worked on had a automatic feed that when the boiler was low on water a pump started to return condensed water from the return tank. On steam engines I do not think they reuse the water, its dumped and new water added via the pump. I am NOT an expert on engines.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Not to rain on your parade but I think your going to need a 90° crank and then it will probably only run in 1 direction as most reversing engines are double acting push down and push up with steam.

Comment

I thought I saw some projects where they converted air compressors like he is doing and even gas engines into steam.
        Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Working...
        X