O.T. washing machine motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Joe the motors will work in another "like" machine won't they? i mean their not "chipped" to have to recognize the controller or anything right?
    When is the last time you heard or read about anybody's wash machine motor crapping out? Controls, laundry drum, seals, bearings going bad, yes!

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      Joe the motors will work in another "like" machine won't they? i mean their not "chipped" to have to recognize the controller or anything right?
      That's a good question. With all the computerized speed controlling, reversing, start / stop etc. and the like taking place in modern day washing machines I'm going to say no.
      In the older machines it was basically a timer that controlled on and off. Maybe a couple speeds for spin cycle, and water solenoids and that was about it. The rest was done by a gear box. With the newer machines the gear box as we once new it has been eliminated by speed controlled motors. Probably why the motor you were playing with was a fake 3 phase.
      The controller or computer that runs the whole show also incorporates a cheap VFD.

JL..............

Comment

It's incredible technology for home appliances and eliminates many resources needed to build trannies and run belts and pulleys and such... actually pretty cool to re-learn a little of how much things have changed in this sector...

Comment

Not only W.M's but many other motors are now P.M. 3ph or BLDC, such as the motor now used for HVAC blower for example which has the 3ph controller built in and exercises the rotor momentarily when switched on to determine the commutation point.
          Max.

Comment

I hate this washing machine I have. What I hate most is you can't open the lid to throw something in if it's running. You have to shut it off, listen to the stupid musical chimes and then wait about 2 minutes for the magnetic latch to release. Then you can open the top. This is a real pain, I always drop a sock or something on the way to the laundry room and find it 10 minutes into the wash cycle.
            The other thing I hate is the machine almost always thumps during the spin cycle if I throw a bunch of bath towels or jeans in. Clothes don't situate themselves in this machine like they did in the old machines.
            Anyone know a hack for bypassing the magnetic latch on the lid??? I don't know why they did this, there is no agitator to get wrapped up in a person should decide to climb in when it's running.

JL............

Comment

Joe it's to keep little timmy from going for a spin - or worse yet using his little sister for counterbalance "i found out that if i put suzie on the other side with all her shoes we can get it up to 600 rpm's before the rinse spray kicks in" lol

guess i'll just do what my buddy was going to do to begin with - turn the motor in for scrap - kinda shame looks like a well built motor.

Comment

Ha, Ha............ I'm sure that was the intent behind the lid latch.
                If you have a VFD you could try running it off of that just to see what happens, but you may have already fried it when you were playing around guessing at wires.
                It might look well made but it's probably one of those open frame motors where all the insides are exposed so it wouldn't be a good choice for a bench grinder motor.

JL..............

Comment

And you cannot work on it either - the two case halves don't unbolt they are epoxied together....

it's a disposable world...

Comment

Working...
                  X