Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $5 motor question, possible buffer?

Hi Group,

I got a double shafted motor yesterday at a garage sale that I was thinking of using for a buffer setup. The motor is from a dual sided blower fan that was from a school heater unit called a univent so the seller said. It is 1150 rpm, and that is the question, will it work for soft pad buffing and polishing at that speed.
    If not is there any way to speed it up beyond the 1150 rpm without a VFD to be used as a buffer. I plan on making pad couplers and a stand but if this won't fit the bill I will save it for another project.

Look forward to any and all comments.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

With the right size buffing wheel there's no reason it wouldn't work, 8-10 inches would get you in the proper range. Can speed it up with a belt and pulley system for smaller buffs

Comment

It might require a start or run capacitor if its a PSC and most are. Check the unit or motor diagram for details on the size. VFD's are for three phase motors, not single phase.
      Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Yes it is a PSC motor and does have a cap on it. So is the range of RPM going to give me a polish on aluminum and maybe brass items? I figure It sounds like a go from the couple of comments.

TX
        Mr fixit for the family
        Chris

Comment

Are you taking the rotor and shaft out, and cutting right and left hand threads?

Comment

Polishing action depends on surface speed, not directly on rpm. Larger wheels will give a larger surface speed for a given rpm.

Ed
            For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
              Yes it is a PSC motor and does have a cap on it. So is the range of RPM going to give me a polish on aluminum and maybe brass items? I figure It sounds like a go from the couple of comments.

TX
              Mr fixit for the family
              Chris
              I got a 1/2 inch set screw arbor someplace that adapts to a buffing wheel. My motor is a 1/4 hp 1725 rpm off a exhaust fan and it works fine.
              Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by ed_h View Post
                Polishing action depends on surface speed, not directly on rpm. Larger wheels will give a larger surface speed for a given rpm.

Ed
                The ability to use larger wheels will depend on the horsepower of the motor. If it's 1/3 hp or less, an 8" wheel may bog down the motor with even light pressure when polishing. I use a 3/4 hp 1750 rpm buffer with 6" to 10" wheels, stacked to give 1" or so of wheel face, usually stitched muslin wheels.
                David Kaiser
                “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by 38_Cal View Post
                  The ability to use larger wheels will depend on the horsepower of the motor. If it's 1/3 hp or less, an 8" wheel may bog down the motor with even light pressure when polishing. I use a 3/4 hp 1750 rpm buffer with 6" to 10" wheels, stacked to give 1" or so of wheel face, usually stitched muslin wheels.
                  That's right. His 1150 rpm motor will give a little extra torque for a given hp compared to a 4 pole 1750 rpm motor, though.

Edr
                  For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

My first thought is it may not have enough torque.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

As mentioned, you can get the same surface speed as a 4 pole motor by increasing the diameter of the buffing wheels by 30% or so. It is possible to run a single phase motor on a VFD to increase the speed, although perhaps not recommended. An automotive DC-AC inverter probably could be hacked to produce 90 Hertz for nominal 1800 RPM.
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

As a frame reference we have about 50 buffer/polishers for small stuff at work. They are all 1/3 to 1/2 hp 3450 rpm and run 3-6 inch attachments. I'd be more concerned about the bearings, but for $5 worth a try.

Comment

Anything under 3/4hp will bog down with anything remotely sized, say a m/c g/box or timing cover.
                          Proper polishers run 2800-300 rpm, designed for mops 8" up.
                          Proper industrial polishers are generally around 3hp and DO NOT SLOW DOWN....

Comment

Working...
                          X