No announcement yet.

Electric power steering rack & pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early versions of the electric assist had a direction sensor on the steering column behind the steering wheel. Those went bad faster than egg salad on a summer day. The dealers were charging $700-$1200 to replace the sensor on out of warranty cars. The new ones went bad in short order too. I think there was finally a recall on them.

Comment

Electric power steering is everywhere today.
      I bought a Polaris ATV a few years ago that has it.
      I hate to ride anything else now that I have power steering on one of my ATVs.
      Bill
      I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

I will bet there is some circuitry and an encoder under that motor end cap.

Some electric power steering units use "brushless dc" motors. Application specific controller, custom motor design. Adapting one of these type motors for some other use would require skills of a sparky rather than a mechanical guy like me.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
          That sound very much like a Model T Ford steering "box". Early versions were 4:1 then went to 5:1. Original 5:1s were nickel plated. I replated a lot of them for restorations.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/att...8&d=1522069859

That's the one!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            As Lakeside53 pointed out current draw would be dependent on load.
            Would not lowering the voltage increase the current required for the same load.
            Power in DC being amps x volts, yes it would. But the load may not BE the same, so it might be less. The least current will be with it running unloaded, so everything between that and max is load dependent.

It may also be intermittent use... the usual steering is not a continuous operation, but short bursts of full load (at low speed or parking) and short bursts of much lighter load, when driving at road speeds. Actual effective load may be 30 to 50% of maximum, even for more intense operations such as parking, where the load is maximum because the wheels are not rotating and have to be turned against full contact friction.

That might only be important in cases of trying to use it for something more continuous like CNC
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

You can get external boxes to control them on ebay, they work by fooling the sensor inputs to the column assist that the car is going a certain speed to switch assistance levels, so you can dial in the assist to suit the car's speed at that point. Without a speed sensor signal the corsa one at least will be on max assist permanently.
              This is really handy when your retrofitting a unit to a hotrod or something and don't want power steering lines etc visible and you can tuck the eps column unit away unseen instead.
              Some more info here, one of the more clueful write ups to whats going on inside a corsa EPS unit.
              http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog...steering-epas/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
                Nice piece of kit! What vehicle is it off?
                2015 Range Rover. I'm reading the shop manual & it says:

"The electric motor is a brushless DC (direct current) motor. The electronics that convert
                the DC power supply into phase voltages are contained in the power steering control
                module.
                Motor position is detected by two Hall effect sensors in the power steering control
                module, adjacent to rotating magnets on the electric motor shaft. The two sensors have
                different resolutions, which allows the power steering control module to monitor both
                fast and slow movement effectively. From the position of the electric motor, the power
                steering control module can deduce the position of the road wheels and the steering
                angle."

Veddy interesting! I would've bet money that the electrical horses required to run that big ol' steering motor while parking a Range Rover wouldn't fit inside a little black plastic housing on the end of the motor! No external power module, no heatsinks?? Pretty clever stuff right there.
                Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
                X