Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT, use of two displays with one computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, use of two displays with one computer.

I have been using two displays with the main computer I use in my part time design business.

The computer is a Dell M6300 laptop, running Windows 7 SP1. The main screen, where the desktop icons show, is the internal display of this machine. it is a 17" with 1920 x 1200 resolution.

the extension screen is a Dell FPD1810 an 18" with 1280 x 1024 resolution.

the extra display is generally used to view a part, assembly, or document for reference while designing another part. It works very well, and the M6300 has the required ports.

I sometimes use the machine without using the external display, taking it somewhere, etc. I do not re-configure it, I just unplug, or even, if I don't need he extra display, I just do not turn it on. That does not seem to bother anything.

The problem is that the desktop icons get re-arranged, in much the same way as they do if you run in "safe mode". Not always, just sometimes. It's not a big deal, but it is annoying.

I figure this has to be a result of having different resolution screens, and having both enabled on the system at once. But having both is so convenient I do not want to give it up. I'd surely like to get around the icon re-arrangement though.

That seems to happen when the extension unit is NOT in use, typically when the laptop is taken somewhere.

There is essentially no chance of me ever finding another display of the same resolution as the laptop, the 1920 x 1200 was odd then, and still is.

Is there a good explanation for this odd behavior? It never happened until I started using the dual display.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

I do not have an explanation other than to say it is a Microsoft product.

However, I suggest go into display settings where the two screens are set up and ensure that 'Make this main screen' (or whatever it is) is selected or not.

Comment

Probably just going to have to live with it, if you could find a second monitor that you could run at 1920 x 1200 it might not do the rearranging.

Comment

There is a small program called fences for this Microsoft feature. There is an old free version floating on the web.
        https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Comment

It's from the resolution switch. It will try to contain everything within boundaries of the lowest resolution the main window gets set to. And sometimes that can be small while it is detecting.

Comment

I have experienced similar problems when I worked for others and had to put up with the dictates of the IS people. They would do an upgrade overnight and I would come in and find my desktop back to the Microsoft idea of cramming all the icons to the upper left. I was not even using a dual display.

I finally started to take screen shots of the desktop and storing them in a Paint drawing. That way I could call it up and use it to quickly rearrange the icons the way I was used to. It only took a couple of minutes that way.

In your case you could try to arrange them in the upper left portion of the screen that represents the portion of the screen defined by the lowest resolution monitor that you are likely to be using. Possibly your laptop's built in screen. That way they should, and I did say should, fit no matter how large the screen is.

Another way would be to organize your icons in one or more folders on the desktop. They would stay in the same places inside those folders and you could just open the ones that you need at the present time. I use a folder for my "Design" programs like CAD programs, PCB layout programs, Machinists Handbook, and other reference works. They don't clutter up my desktop and yet they are just a double click away. Another folder that I have is "From Desktop": in it I have placed programs that I almost never use. Internet Browser programs may be another candidate for a folder.

I do feel your frustration.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I run multiple screens on a number of laptops spread out between work and home. Thinkpads and Dells.

Occasionally I will get an icon reconfiguration. I find that is usually happens if I disconnect the extended desktop with ANY icons remaining in the extended monitor area. If that area is clean, icon reconfig is rare.

I also have been doing it for may years which means I experienced some other bugs. The most annoying early bug was after disconnection from the 2nd monitor, some programs 'remembered' to start in the 2nd monitor even though it did not exist. You could watch the window go from the taskbar offscreen to the right. Quite annoying while on the road. There is a way to move the window to recover it to the activescreen but I have forgoten the details as the issue has largely abated.
              Bill Pendergrass
              Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
              Atlas TH42 QC10

Comment

You may be able to set up a second user so you log in as 'JTaway' that then has different configurations. However that might mean some files belonging to your 'JThome' login become inaccessible unless you understand how to have a communal section.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
                  It's from the resolution switch. It will try to contain everything within boundaries of the lowest resolution the main window gets set to. And sometimes that can be small while it is detecting.
                  The main window is the highest resolution, and NEVER gets reset. The laptop display is the highest resolution screen, and no icons ever move to the other screen. Particularly not when the second screen is not even attached.

I know about the rearrangement if it gets reset, but I do not ever reset it.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

Just my 2ยข. I love multiple monitors for working. Been using dual monitor setups for atleast 15 years. When I was contracting I'd often have a quote form on one screen and all my research and/or a work sheet on the other. As a home shop machinist I often use CAD on one screen and CAM on another and since I finally upgraded to a decent computer with a quad core (8 thread) processor I can even surf the web (like now) while code is rendering in CAM.

FYI: (TANGENT) I was often left speechless by the absolutely sh!tty quotes offered by other contractors. I always wondered why so many contractors never even had a standardized contract proposal form, so all the terms and conditions were spelled out. It probably saved me hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of dollars worth of headaches. When I was getting quotes to erect my shop one fellow wrote a number on a match book cover and handed it to me at a social event in front of a bunch of people we both knew. I expected he hoped I would be impressed and announce in front of all those people he was building my building. He was not happy when I let him know he was 50 grand higher than the next highest quote in front of all those people. Sorry. Random thought ping.

Back on topic now. LOL
                    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Why stop at 2?

Not addressing Jerry's issues, but look for Display Port on the video cards or PC you are buying. With version 1.2 (?) you set you video card to the max resolution and by daisy chain (in, out) the monitors (up to 4) simply divide up the horizontal and vertical. You can set up to 2x2 or a 1x4 arrangement.

At work we get updates literally daily and reboots more than once a week from our internal update systems ("manage engine"). We don't experience the rearrangement issue - around 400 desktops most with dual or more monitors, 30% of which are still Windows 7. There's a lot of laptops (mostly Lenovo Thinkpad) in the mix also, but most just "stay put".

If matching resolution monitors is the issue, they are cheap. Drivers in win7 multi-monitor monitors sets are critical - check for updates from the video card manf.

I know you say you don't have icons on the second screen, but for the wider discussion, if you did have icons across screen wider than the physical space of one monitor, what would you like for it to do when you remove the extra screen (s)?
                      Last edited by lakeside53; 03-29-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

The extra screen for me is just extra room to move a window into.

If I am not using it, I expected the main screen to be not affected in any way, the other one is just "not there'

All the icons are on the left of the main screen, but may extend over more than 1024 pixels vertically. AFAIK, the main screen is not "degraded to" the remote screen resolution hen both are in use, but it could be, in which case that would explain the matter.

Just checked, and the icon size does not change whan the second monitor is operating and has a screen up. The window is reduced to match the aux screen resolution/size, it is reduced if I bring it back

The cursor does want to go off-screen to the other monitor, though, until the monitor is disconnected. During the disconnection seems to be when the icons get moved. Some confusion of size maybe? There may be a reset of screen then
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 03-29-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

As Macona mentioned, it's resolution switch.

Windows and other operating systems consider both displays as a single wide display. If you have for example two 1024x768 displays, windows will consider them a single 2048x768 display. Disconnecting one reverts to 1024x768 and the icons are moved to fit the smaller space, even if they are only on the primary monitor.
                          It only happens if the monitor is disconnected, if the 'extra' monitor is just turned off, it's still seen as being there so the icons stay in place, issue is that if you have programs set to open on the 2nd monitor they won't be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
                            As Macona mentioned, it's resolution switch.

Windows and other operating systems consider both displays as a single wide display. If you have for example two 1024x768 displays, windows will consider them a single 2048x768 display. Disconnecting one reverts to 1024x768 and the icons are moved to fit the smaller space, even if they are only on the primary monitor.
                            It only happens if the monitor is disconnected, if the 'extra' monitor is just turned off, it's still seen as being there so the icons stay in place, issue is that if you have programs set to open on the 2nd monitor they won't be seen.
                            The monitors are different

programs are never set to open on the extension.

Icons are never put on the extension.

Does that change what you wrote?

Comment

All graphic cards do it differently. Sometimes setting it up, you may not notice that it has made your main monitor #2. And it may have
                              even made the extended monitor primary. And also note that on most machines, you can set the res on each monitor independently, so
                              I suspect that when you disconnect your machine that what it considers its default monitor is gone and it uses the new and only monitor
                              with a default res which is wrong.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, just throwing it out there.
                              John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Working...
                              X