Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian , you are about 60 percent full..

Comment

I'd get 2 or 3 of those 15-drawer Bisley cabinets and line them up under the window, put all your small stuff into drawers that'll clear a lot of the walls and shelves up. Then rip off that white cupboard and the shelving over the lathe and put some decent metal wall cupboards that come out at least as far as the boxing on the ceiling, that'll hold everything else that's on the shelves all around and more. Put a light on the underside of the cupboards for the lathe.
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Wow- and I feel my 28 X 48 shop is too small... but then, I have all of that walking to do.

Comment

Wow- and I feel my 28 X 48 shop is too small... but then, I have all of that walking to do.
          If I had 28 X 48 my motorcycles would live indoors, my table saw would live indoors, and I would have to fend off freeloaders who want just this little bit of space right here...

16 X 13. What you got is what you get.

Comment

It is admittedly cozy. I find that there is ample room to do what I need, as long as I don't dance. And I hate it when I'm working on my lathe, back up to admire my work, and goose myself on the mill table handle.
            Last edited by brian Rupnow; 04-01-2018, 09:24 AM.
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have seen folding handles about the same size as your mill Y axis one, but cannot remember where.

Comment

That looks like a great setup Brian. When I setup my shop, I had some windows that I was originally hesitant to "block" by putting shelving or something directly in front of the window rendering it useless, but once you don't see the window anymore, you forget it was even there Of course if you rely on natural light from a window or just want natural light then it's harder to justify blocking the window but I think you still have lots of area to add more storage. You could add lots of shelving in front of that window, or lots of removable poly storage bins, or a nice big peg board for hanging lots of items, or a combination of many things. Try blacking out the window for a little while and see if you still have enough working light and pretend you just got a ton more storage and organization where the window used to be.

Comment

I like to have the window for natural light. There is space above the window which I may someday utilize, but I can't reach up there without a step stool or short ladder. I'm still okay room-wise. My stock of material which is standing on end in front of the window is going to get relocated to somewhere else. I did have it at the far end of the lathe but it's getting too congested in there.
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have seen folding handles about the same size as your mill Y axis one, but cannot remember where.
                    Probably Essentra, formerly known as Reid Tools. There motto could be "if Grainger doesn't have it, we do"

http://www.essentracomponents.com/en...k&beginIndex=0

http://www.essentracomponents.com/en...-crank-handles

Comment

The folding handle that I saw had a full disc to grip if required, it was probably on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                        I'd get 2 or 3 of those 15-drawer Bisley cabinets and line them up under the window, put all your small stuff into drawers that'll clear a lot of the walls and shelves up. Then rip off that white cupboard and the shelving over the lathe and put some decent metal wall cupboards that come out at least as far as the boxing on the ceiling, that'll hold everything else that's on the shelves all around and more. Put a light on the underside of the cupboards for the lathe.
                        Agreed! When I bought my place the previous owner had put up 1x6 shelving on the walls of the garage. As soon as I could I bought several steel wall mount cabinets which freed up a tremendous amount of wall space which allowed me to install a few 6' tall shelving units. A 2' deep one of those with several shelves holds a huge amount of material.

Comment

Working...
                        X