Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puckdropper
    replied
    How about two spindles, one on each side of the work? That way you could mill both sides of an object without any difficulty.

Leave a comment:

• Puckdropper
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    A little flexible compressed air nozzle pointed at the cutter zone helps blow chips away.
    I find it VERY effective for my latest efforts, milling styrene. My Taig spindle had a convenient slot to mount a regulator, which has a shut off above and locline below.

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    A level won't help you there. I'd use a dti after I trammed the mill

Leave a comment:

replied
    Try setting up an exhaust manifold off a V8 on a mill, with a tram then get back to us..

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    Why would you use a level on a mill? Tramming would be a bit more meaningful.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Well for one thing, you cant easily level work. , not that I use a level a lot more a DTI guy.
    A slant bed lathe makes more sense to me than a slant bed mill..

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    They make slant bed lathes, why not slant bed mills?

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    My homebuilt minimill can turn the spindle sideways and still has an 18” work cube like when it is vertical. It works fine that way and would be very good for cavity work but gravity is nice for holding parts in place while fixturing. However the real reason I built it this way is that I can machine on the end of a 20 ft. long part because my table is stationary too. I actually have use for this in the products I build.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    Vac and air. Vac isn't very effective alone in slots or deeper holes.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    A shop vac directed at the cutting zone removes the chips and cleans them up all at once. Compressed air makes for a big cleanup mess.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    A little flexible compressed air nozzle pointed at the cutter zone helps blow chips away.

Leave a comment:

• dalee100
    replied
    Hi,

Well if we totally ignore fixturing issues, mechanical issues like clearance slop, and lubrication problems, you certainly can do it. But chip control is a rather easily solved problem even when machining in the normal vertical. And the other problems I listed either are greatly diminished or go away totally.

Leave a comment:

• Edwin Dirnbeck
    replied
    Originally posted by Puckdropper View Post
    Wouldn't chips then fall into the spindle?

If you were to mount one at 90 degrees, you just might get away with it.
    Who cares if the chips fall on the spindle? Any spindle can easily be sealed or shielded. The big problem with ANY machining is getting the chips AWAY from the CUTTER, it doesn't mater if you are cutting steel or aluminum or wood or plastic ,YOU NEED TO GET THE CHIPS AWAY FROM THE CUTTER. Edwin Dirnbeck

Leave a comment:

• RMinMN
    replied
    Originally posted by Puckdropper View Post
    Wouldn't chips then fall into the spindle?

If you were to mount one at 90 degrees, you just might get away with it.
    That sounds like a lathe where you mount the cutter in the chuck and move the workpiece. It could also be just a horizontal mill.

Leave a comment:

• Magicniner
    replied
    Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
    There seems to be a large number of cheap cnc mini mills being sold.
    Lots of cheap mini-routers being labelled mills ;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X