No announcement yet.

gasket hole puncher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand held whitney punch here with a decent set of dies. I have it for about a zillion other jobs too, and I think it cost me $30 secondhand some years ago. I almost never use something I have to hit with a hammer to make a hole now. Gasket material, cardboard, more holes in my leather belt, sheet metal work etc etc.

Currently I'm welding new rear wings onto my van and punching holes into the edges so I can plug weld them in, as I don't own a spot welder.
    I punched a load of holes for cleco pin's to hold them first too.

Comment

Different caliber shells, don't last for very long, but can pick them up almost anywhere there's a backstop.
      Buy those cheap HF style hole saws whenever I see them at garage sales/flea markets. take the teeth off the dull ones and sharpen them.

Comment

number of ways to make a new gasket.
        New way take pic/scan and upload to computer screw with it in cad/cam cut it on your laser cutter as seen on youtube gave no time as to how long it took. Was a lid gasket for a Colchester Bantam lathe. items needed ruler/scale camera/scanner computer laser cutter
        old way ball peen hammer and maybe scissors under 10 minutes items needed 2 ball peen hammers scissors other items may also need pensel,ruler scale, knife same gasket. ken

Comment

Thanks gang for all the great ideas- the good part is this is all concentrated in one posting for those needing ideas . I whittled one out of a soft 5/8th bolt that works pretty good, tapered on the inside down to the sharp edge and my mechanic/ partner in crime in this project thought the taper should be on the outside so I might make one that way just to see- sure cuts a nice looking hole though, looks very professional. The grade 8 bolt was so hard my hss lathe bit did a terrible job of finishing it so that's not an option without better cutters!
          I will have some used shifting forks for an IHC 300U, and a 6L. ultrasonic cleaner for the carb cleaning delivered today by UPS, yes I am a tool nut-lol

Comment

In a pinch i have made them from thin wall tubing of the right inside dia. per #7 and used a hammer to punch the hole.
            Always use a block of semi hardwood, using ONLY the end of the grain under the material.
            Max.

Comment

Working...
            X