Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look at these parts to tell me what machine I'm missing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at these parts to tell me what machine I'm missing...

I recently purchased an estate lot of equipment for making lead bullets. It consists of a punch press that feeds and cuts lead wire making cores, and a cold heading machine that makes the cores into swaged bullets.

The sellers of course didn't know a ton about the equipment, but they were convinced that the 2 machines I got were the only machines he had for making the bullets. I was convinced that there was another machine missing from the lot, but I couldn't explain the machine other than describing what it does.

I picked up the machines and tooling, and transported them back to my shop, but while I was there, I looked around to see if I could find the machine he was using to knurl the lead bullets (to hold lube) but I couldn't find it in the shop. I might well have overlooked it, as I'm not sure what kind of machine was adapted to the process, and there were a ton of old machines in the shop. But nothing that stood out to me. I know that some equipment had already been sold off (possibly scrapped) so there's a possibility the machine just wasn't there.

What I do have are the knurling wheels, and the shuttles from the machine (or at least an assortment of them). The knurling dies are about 1.25" diameter and about 2" high. Some of the wheels are only knurled for a short section (like pictured) and some are knurled for the full height. The shuttles have spring loaded toggle arms with an attachment hole at the end (obscured by shadow in the photo). The shuttles are about .75" wide and 1" tall.

Can you identify what kind of machine these would be used on or adapted to? My google-fu has proven insufficient on this one.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by TMo; 04-01-2018, 10:52 PM.

You might try the gunsmithing section of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
      You might try the gunsmithing section of this forum.
      Not a bad Idea, although I strongly suspect that the machine wasn't designed for this purpose originally, as I said, the other machines are a punch press and cold heading press respectively. I suspect this would be something closer to a coin reeding machine, but that's a wild guess

Comment

No thoughts on this?

I guess I don't feel too bad not being able to figure it out myself then!

Comment

goggle swaging bullets & you'll get a ton of sites from using copper tubing, 22 shells to 44 shells, corbin co which sels the hardware, lots of you tubes & hours & hours of info. Used to be really popular but like guns people want to start shooting at 1000 yards & work up to 3000. I still like to pour hard cast 45/70 & 45/120

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
            goggle swaging bullets & you'll get a ton of sites from using copper tubing, 22 shells to 44 shells, corbin co which sels the hardware, lots of you tubes & hours & hours of info. Used to be really popular but like guns people want to start shooting at 1000 yards & work up to 3000. I still like to pour hard cast 45/70 & 45/120
            Yes, I've got experience with all of the home swaging stuff as well, up to and including Dave Corbin's top end hydraulic machines, this stuff is a ways out of that realm.

Comment

I have no idea what that is in the picture, looks more like a nipple wrench for a muzzleloader than a bullet staging tool.
              As far as a bullet knurler, both boys the Corbin and ch4d tools look the same, a big plate with a crank on it and three wheels which make the knurls.

Comment

I appreciate the help. I'm fairly convinced at this point the machine was shop made to purpose.

As I mentioned, I'm fairly familiar with the 'home swaging' type equipment, The closest thing capacity wise would be Dave's power cannelure machine, but it would be hard to adapt to shuttle feed, and requires different wheels for each caliber. I'll either end up with one of those, or build a machine to use the shuttles and wheels I've already got I guess.

Comment

Working...
                X