Reed/Armstrong die cutters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reed/Armstrong die cutters.

I was given these adjustable die cutters when F-I-l passed. I have just started cleaning them up. I think they are Whitworth but are in good condition. My question: one of the sets of die cutters is stamped 1-2, but appears to be able to cut 5/8 by the size of the space. However, the thread size does not match SAE. So, Whitworth? or? Thanks for your time, Wayne.

Early morning and I'm a bit slow. What is SAE? Normally means Stamped Addressed Envelope over here.

I presume you are talking about some of those old style 2 part dies, any chance of a photo? Honestly, 1/2 could be anything, Whitworth, BSF, Gas, Brass, even Cycle. Have you tried a pitch gauge on them?
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Hi Richard, SAE is Society of Engineers, ( basically, North American) designation. The pitch gauge showed 20, I think for what would be 1/4 20 but measured out to be about 5/16. My 5/16 18 is small. Yes, two part dies. The rest of those? Thanks for your time, Wayne. bTW, my time right now is 10:34 pm.

Comment

Could be 3/8" British Standard Fine (BSF) which is 20 TPI. The nearest gas or pipe thread to 20tpi is 1/4" x19 tpi, but thats just over 1/2" dia.
        Last edited by Richard P Wilson; 04-03-2018, 02:44 AM.
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Originally posted by wtrueman View Post
          SAE is Society of Engineers, ( basically, North American) designation. .
          Society of Automotive Engineers
          Last edited by loose nut; 04-03-2018, 09:27 AM.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Very strong chance that these are cutter for pipe thread. 1-2, 1/2" IPS.
            Threader and dies look like these?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NO-...kAAOSwc6Jah0lf
            Last edited by reggie_obe; 04-03-2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Hi all: yes pipe threads, thanks, Wayne.

Comment

Working...
              X