No announcement yet.

For all those who can't find a GREAT lathe they can afford. $555+10%=Priceless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's true at least with a new chinese lathe you know what you're getting. Bit in the *SS with a high $$ pc of chinese junk. On the other hand if you buy good old American iron at scrap price & I've never had it ever to turn out to be scrap but if it ever did at least I'd have gotten what what I paid for. I've never paid for rigging or shipping either. Support the chinese & who knows maybe you'll get chinese language lessons no charge.

Comment

While I like those nice old machines, I will probably never buy a machine that is long as my car. Not enough room unless I extend the garage through the kitchen to the back of the house.

The other complication is that, among other things, I don't get free rigging. They wanted over $1000 to move my mill 6 miles and that's not a huge mill. I can only imagine what the local rigging company would want to move a Pacemaker into my garage.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
        The other complication is that, among other things, I don't get free rigging. They wanted over $1000 to move my mill 6 miles and that's not a huge mill.
        Small wrecker to lift it into the back of a pickup? That should be really cheap. If you don't have a pickup you can pay them to put it on a rollback wrecker.

I roll my 4000 lbs mill around on 3/4" pipe, by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
          Small wrecker to lift it into the back of a pickup? That should be really cheap. If you don't have a pickup you can pay them to put it on a rollback wrecker.

I roll my 4000 lbs mill around on 3/4" pipe, by myself.
          You'd sure think it would be cheap and quick. It's only 6 foot tall, around 1000 pounds. The rigging company wanted to do it the right way, not just throwing on the back of a truck. That called for a couple guys, a driver, a flatbed, a lift of some sort and 4 hour minimum charge.

But you don't put a Pacemaker on the back of a 1/2 ton pickup. It looks like the 16x54 version is over 8,000 pounds. Goodness knows what the big ones weigh.
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
          X