X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by Glug View Post
    Small wrecker to lift it into the back of a pickup? That should be really cheap. If you don't have a pickup you can pay them to put it on a rollback wrecker.

I roll my 4000 lbs mill around on 3/4" pipe, by myself.
    You'd sure think it would be cheap and quick. It's only 6 foot tall, around 1000 pounds. The rigging company wanted to do it the right way, not just throwing on the back of a truck. That called for a couple guys, a driver, a flatbed, a lift of some sort and 4 hour minimum charge.

But you don't put a Pacemaker on the back of a 1/2 ton pickup. It looks like the 16x54 version is over 8,000 pounds. Goodness knows what the big ones weigh.

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    Originally posted by danlb View Post
    The other complication is that, among other things, I don't get free rigging. They wanted over $1000 to move my mill 6 miles and that's not a huge mill.
    Small wrecker to lift it into the back of a pickup? That should be really cheap. If you don't have a pickup you can pay them to put it on a rollback wrecker.

I roll my 4000 lbs mill around on 3/4" pipe, by myself.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    While I like those nice old machines, I will probably never buy a machine that is long as my car. Not enough room unless I extend the garage through the kitchen to the back of the house.

The other complication is that, among other things, I don't get free rigging. They wanted over $1000 to move my mill 6 miles and that's not a huge mill. I can only imagine what the local rigging company would want to move a Pacemaker into my garage.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    That's true at least with a new chinese lathe you know what you're getting. Bit in the *SS with a high $$ pc of chinese junk. On the other hand if you buy good old American iron at scrap price & I've never had it ever to turn out to be scrap but if it ever did at least I'd have gotten what what I paid for. I've never paid for rigging or shipping either. Support the chinese & who knows maybe you'll get chinese language lessons no charge.

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    Closest lathes to me on that site are 2000 miles away and unknown quality. Rigging and shipping are going to cost way more than a new Asian lathe.

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    Originally posted by Glug View Post
    Well.. I don't need a 600HP car or 1500HP airplane, but want both very much.

I built my first rotary phase converter back in '98, in my garage, for my Tree CNC. It was easy. But now we have 3 phase VFD's that run on single phase. 3 phase motors (and DC) are smoother - I prefer them in any lathe.

No doubt there is more demand for small machines. And yet I still see many nice small lathes at very good prices, sometimes dirt cheap and in really nice condition. It isn't mandatory to hunt for dirt cheap deals. Paying $1000-$1500 for a nice small lathe isn't at all unreasonable. I would not hesitate to do it, and did not hesitate (much!) when I paid $1600 for my well tooled Logan in '98. There is something to be said for hunting for great condition.

These days, in smaller machines, I'm much more interested in the 10EE.

Another side of it is wear. Many small lathes have limited lubrication and wear quickly if they see much use by owners who don't bother. Some users are oblivious to the risks of grinding on a lathe, or they just don't care. I see a lot of significantly worn home shop lathes.

And shipping.... Machines can be shipped. So the stuff about living in a machine tool desert? For most people in the lower 48 it just doesn't matter that much.
    Our 10EE probably got more overall hours of all the lathes in our plant. I never ran it much but the guys that did loved it. If I were in the market for a 10 inch lathe it would be on my list. Even with their often problematic electronics, if they can be called electronics.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    Originally posted by flylo View Post
    My idea is you need at least 2 lathes one small & one large but I have the room, the power & like American Quality equipment. In the back room of the buy I made was a torn apart south bend 9" with a taper attachment. My friend a retired machinist who has large SB Turnodo & half a dozen lathes just had to have it even though it was in many pieces & he found every pc & bolt. It was made in the '30s. I didn't mean for this to turn into what it did. I was just showing what could be had with a bit of effort but Bborr had to dis it with untrue facts. Should have spent 5 seconds on google & had the correct info. We're fine & know each other, I have his old Ironworker & he has my old Mill, no biggie & it's over.
    Cheers. No problem here.

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    Glug, I don't doubt you see a lot of nice machines for cheap. You, like all the rest that lord the lower prices over the rest of us are located in the middle of the machining heart of the continent.
    I've sailed the inland passage many times. You are what, 2.5 hours from Seattle? That is not so isolated. You live much closer to major metro and industrial areas than I do. I spent 18 hours round trip road time to get my Pacemaker. Plus many hours planning logistics. With shipping it would have still been a lot less than a small lathe from China.

I see machines all over the lower 48, or within range of them, that I might want (and so much that I don't). Though I mostly try and ignore those that are distant. I definitely see machines in Canada that I would like - Dean Smith Grace lathes, among others, come to mind. I've given some thought to hauling one back. How's that song go? "Don't touch my lathe if you please, mr. customs man!"

I have never posted the price I paid for a lathe - except for the Logan mentioned earlier in this thread.

But you just pointed out a host of reasons why it's pretty much essential to personally inspect a used machine to avoid getting a lemon.
    I don't play the lottery or gamble. I do buy lathes I have never personally inspected. Of my last three lathes, I inspected one of them before purchase.

I hate being a Negative Nelly on all this but the reality is that prices are very regional and remote shopping that simply does not allow for the proper inspection just isn't a realistic option for any but the most daring.
    Oh yeah, I'm buying filthy old machines that smell funny. I'm soo daring! :P

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    Hey now, there are great deals on used lathes where I live, there’s an Atlas 12” lathe for 3800$!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No idea where you live?

Leave a comment:

replied
    The rule in these parts is....
    If it can be dragged kicking and screaming into a basement, or fits a garage......
    It's going to go for stupid money....
    It's justvthd way it goes here, high demand.
    Nice Harrison horizontal at an auction, around 1990... 4000 or 5500 bucks..

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Glug, I don't doubt you see a lot of nice machines for cheap. You, like all the rest that lord the lower prices over the rest of us are located in the middle of the machining heart of the continent. A zone that actually extends up into Southern Ontario.

Sure stuff can be shipped. But you just pointed out a host of reasons why it's pretty much essential to personally inspect a used machine to avoid getting a lemon. So I really don't see remote shopping as an option unless they can contact someone in the area they trust to check the machine over and to monitor the packing up and shipping.

I hate being a Negative Nelly on all this but the reality is that prices are very regional and remote shopping that simply does not allow for the proper inspection just isn't a realistic option for any but the most daring.

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    The smaller ones are good for your garage or mine and can be run on 115/230 VAC. The larger ones need a larger building, which most of us "Home Shop Machinists" do not have and usually need three phase power which the average garage or barn does not have. The real deals were in the larger ones and in some cases the smaller, home shop sized ones were even more expensive than the big ones. It is called supply and demand.
    Well.. I don't need a 600HP car or 1500HP airplane, but want both very much.

I built my first rotary phase converter back in '98, in my garage, for my Tree CNC. It was easy. But now we have 3 phase VFD's that run on single phase. 3 phase motors (and DC) are smoother - I prefer them in any lathe.

No doubt there is more demand for small machines. And yet I still see many nice small lathes at very good prices, sometimes dirt cheap and in really nice condition. It isn't mandatory to hunt for dirt cheap deals. Paying $1000-$1500 for a nice small lathe isn't at all unreasonable. I would not hesitate to do it, and did not hesitate (much!) when I paid $1600 for my well tooled Logan in '98. There is something to be said for hunting for great condition.

These days, in smaller machines, I'm much more interested in the 10EE.

Another side of it is wear. Many small lathes have limited lubrication and wear quickly if they see much use by owners who don't bother. Some users are oblivious to the risks of grinding on a lathe, or they just don't care. I see a lot of significantly worn home shop lathes.

And shipping.... Machines can be shipped. So the stuff about living in a machine tool desert? For most people in the lower 48 it just doesn't matter that much.
    Last edited by Glug; 04-04-2018, 08:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Hey now, there are great deals on used lathes where I live, there’s an Atlas 12” lathe for 3800$!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    My idea is you need at least 2 lathes one small & one large but I have the room, the power & like American Quality equipment. In the back room of the buy I made was a torn apart south bend 9" with a taper attachment. My friend a retired machinist who has large SB Turnodo & half a dozen lathes just had to have it even though it was in many pieces & he found every pc & bolt. It was made in the '30s. I didn't mean for this to turn into what it did. I was just showing what could be had with a bit of effort but Bborr had to dis it with untrue facts. Should have spent 5 seconds on google & had the correct info. We're fine & know each other, I have his old Ironworker & he has my old Mill, no biggie & it's over.
    Last edited by flylo; 04-04-2018, 08:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    It has been around 10 years since I purchased my lathe (SB-9) but one thing I clearly remember about the prices was that the larger used lathes were usually priced at a lot lower percentage of their original price than the smaller ones (8 to 12 inch). The smaller ones are good for your garage or mine and can be run on 115/230 VAC. The larger ones need a larger building, which most of us "Home Shop Machinists" do not have and usually need three phase power which the average garage or barn does not have. The real deals were in the larger ones and in some cases the smaller, home shop sized ones were even more expensive than the big ones. It is called supply and demand.

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    The size and power requirements for that would mean a fairly limited audience. Not all of us have that sort of shop and power. One helluva great deal though for anyone that can make use of it. Let's face it, that is scrap metal pricing. Maybe not even.

But similarly let's also face the fact that deals like that only come around about once a decade. And more than once the topic of the wide disparity in regional pricing has come up. You being in Michigan which was in the middle of the industrial heartland means that even at the right price for your area you're going to find far more machines that are a small fraction of what those of us out in the styx are going to pay.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X