Good simple tool height gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good simple tool height gauge

This is made out of 1/2 inch aluminum, very fast and easy to make, just knock the ball oilers below the surface with a 5/16 punch and everything works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 04-04-2018, 03:55 PM.

No need for one, once I started using the steel rule or shim trick..
    Before all that m I usually measure tool and stack, with a caliper, if it's .875 or so, it is good to go on my lathe...

Comment

I did the shim or ruler trick for a few times. But I since switched to a similar style height checker and I like it better. First off it's not diameter sensitive like the ruler trick is and secondly I don't have to keep fishing my ruler out of the chip tray.... call me clumsy if you must but I simply kept dropping it due to not wanting to dig into it too hard.

My gauge is a small short slug of 1" diameter material with a flat milled on the one side. My tool post is easily swiveled so I just swing it around so the tool is over the flat top of the compound where I check the height with the short little slug of a checker. Quick, easier than the ruler trick because I can loosen the tool height adjustment without dropping the ruler AGAIN and get back to the work.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

When you use the caliper trick it tells how much shim you need on a 4 way post..

Comment

[QUOTE=754;1169782]No need for one, once I started using the steel rule or shim trick..
          Before all that m I usually measure tool and stack, with a caliper, if it's .875 or so, it is good to go on my lathe...[ How does that work with a boring bar or a .023 wide carbide o-ring grooving tool?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
            When you use the caliper trick it tells how much shim you need on a 4 way post..
            SHIMS?

Comment

I use a "Diamond Tool Holder" and I find eyeballing to a standard works better and is easier for me.

Comment

With a boring bar, I clamp a square bar in another slot and measure up the difference. Or just use the caliper.
                Sometimes I swing then post around and Eyebal to my revolving center..

Comment

I like it, need to make one. I know that is something I would regularly.
                  Thanks.

Dwight

Comment

You do know you can just set your caliper to known height, and raise tool till caliper tail starts to swing..

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      My gauge is a small short slug of 1" diameter material with a flat milled on the one side. My tool post is easily swiveled so I just swing it around so the tool is over the flat top of the compound where I check the height with the short little slug of a checker. Quick, easier than the ruler trick because I can loosen the tool height adjustment without dropping the ruler AGAIN and get back to the work.
                      I have even easier: two hex socket screws coupled together with extension/coupling nut. Lock nuts on both sides.

Been "thinking" of making a one with large base so that I don't need to rotate a boring bar or other long tools in the tool post to make the adjustment.

Comment

Yeah, I like it. I usually just set my rule up to the tool bit and set it. This tool would make it simpler. Thanks. JR

Comment

I like Joe Pieczynskis take on this:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MrjnIcscxI

You need two rods in addition to the thing you will be making into the height gage. Ideally one is exactly half the diameter of the other. It measures from the lathe bed. The top of my cross slide is not flat but rounded so I cannot use it as a reference surface.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                            No need for one, once I started using the steel rule or shim trick..
                            Before all that m I usually measure tool and stack, with a caliper, if it's .875 or so, it is good to go on my lathe...
                            You are joking, right?

Comment

Not at all. It works well.

Comment

Working...
                              X