Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    More likely the items that failed were poorly protected, and the very high speed pulse from a nearby strike was able to destroy them.

Most motion lights have a capacitor type voltage dropping system. That is extremely sensitive to line spikes.

LED lights usually are not that sensitive, but are cheap, and not generally made to withstand much overvoltage.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    maybe hit the only one live wire; your lights and stuff was all on the other

Leave a comment:

• Tony Ennis
    started a topic OT - lightning strike and weirdness

OT - lightning strike and weirdness

We had some rough weather the other day. During a downpour, lightning hit close enough that the flash and the sound had no separation. I heard what I thought were bits of wood hitting the house. When the rain stopped, I went outside. No obvious strike. But I found that an LED bulb in the barn was dead, the security light on the barn is not working, and a phone charger in the house exploded. The overload fuse (?) was vaporized, leaving a black smear where it used to be, and blowing the cover off the charger; it caromed around the kitchen; this is what I thought was wood hitting the siding. The wife's phone, which was plugged in, was inexplicably unharmed.

The lights never flickered and nothing else was damaged as far as I can tell.

How can this be? How can I get hit hard enough to blow up the charger and kill an LED bulb 100' away, and not lose power?
Working...
X