No announcement yet.

Thinking I need some angle blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a flat little 3" sine bar that is about 3/16" thick. It has a step in one end. I use it in the mill once in a while, and also use it to set something a precise angle off of the back rail on a surface grinder. I made mine, although I think you can buy them reasonably. I made a set of standards for all of the usual angles, and also have a set of gauge blocks for the ones I don't have.

Comment

1, 3, 9, 27

Comment

0. I don't have to make angle blocks for my CNC machine.

Comment

Bingo Tomato!

Congratulations! It's a fun little exercise.

And, by the way, cubes grow much faster than squares. For example, if you wanted to resolve all angles from 0.5 degrees to 60.5 degrees every half degree, you could do it with only 5 blocks:

0.5, 1.5, 4.5, 13.5, and 40.5.

Thanks for the few than sent an answer. Happy weekend to all.

Comment

Half a degree is a pretty coarse resolution, no good at all if you want to make Morse tapers, tapered gibs and the like. Sine bars and slips (gauge blocks) are the way to go.
            For home shop use there are plenty of cheap second hand sine bars on eBay and a box of old slip gauges will do fine. The slip gauges at the museum had to have the rust scraped off them, but even so, a stack of four still reads within about 3 microns of their marked values.

Comment

I dont understand the puzzle how do you get even a 2 or a 5

Comment

Oh you are stacking in the neg as well as in the positive, neat.

Comment

You can nest two angle plates together two ways.
                  One the small points together.
                  The other they are opposite.
                  In the first case the angles add.
                  In the second they subtract.
                  QED

Comment

Originally posted by dryfarmer View Post
                    I dont understand the puzzle how do you get even a 2 or a 5
                    You flip the 1 degree block opposite way on the 3 degree block, such that it "subtracts" one degree from the slope. Do the same with the 1 and the 3 blocks on the 9 degree block to get 5 degrees. And so-on.

EDIT - You guys are too quick for me. Going back to my corner.

Comment

Working...
                    X