No announcement yet.

OT: Only in Germany would this happen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Only in Germany would this happen!

A delivery truck came this morning at 10:17am. I went out to get the delivery but the driver told me he had to wait 5 minutes to give me the package as he was supposed to deliver it at 10:22 and he couldn't hand me the package until 10:22.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

If he shaves 5 minutes off the time the system will compensate, reduce his estimated travel time and then when it takes longer it will penalise him rather than adjusting the time back up.
    It's a symptom of people who know nothing about anything but numbers running the world.
    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

I've actually had the same in the UK but I can't remember which courier company it was. In fact his signing pad wouldn't allow me to sign until the correct time IIRC

Comment

We were waiting for a delivery of fertilizer when someone said they had seen a truck and trailer parked about two miles up the road, yes it was our fertilizer delivery but he had stopped because his mandatory break time was due.

Comment

Slightly off topic but on Thursday, we had a customer come into work to pick up his urgent order that was to be zinc plated. He turned up the same time I unloaded it from the couriers truck. I knew nothing about the order until he pointed out that is was what I just unloaded, as I hadn't even checked who it was from yet. I guess the courier was supposed to deliver the previous day.
          Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
            We were waiting for a delivery of fertilizer when someone said they had seen a truck and trailer parked about two miles up the road, yes it was our fertilizer delivery but he had stopped because his mandatory break time was due.
            That sounds more like what happens around here. IF?...you get it at all.

Had something coming post office delivery, had to be signed for. My wife saw the driver stop at the mailbox(right across from my driveway) and never pulled in. Instead, left one of those "missed you, sign here" notes. So I did, signed it and put it back in the mailbox. Next day, signed note is gone, no package. Called the post master, said the package was in the post office, and had to go get it myself. Incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by Magicniner View Post
              If he shaves 5 minutes off the time the system will compensate, reduce his estimated travel time and then when it takes longer it will penalise him rather than adjusting the time back up.
              It's a symptom of people who know nothing about anything but numbers running the world.
              Think how you could screw up the precision delivery times if you had (or pretended to have) cerebral palsy and it took you a full 2 minutes to sigh for the package.

Comment

I was working on a construction site in central London where delivery trucks were given a precise time for arrival. If one appeared before its allotted time, even by only 5 minutes, the gateman would tell the driver to go away (more usually f--- off) and drive round the block, only returning at his exact time.

This is better than the system we seem to have accepted whereby a service or delivery company will tell you that they will visit your home between 8 am and 5 pm, and expect you to take the day off to wait for them. Can't even take the dog for a walk or go for a bottle of milk for fear of missing them.
                'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

While I understand your irritation and the ridiculousness of it all, it also doesn't surprise me.
                  The variation in employee's leads to all sorts of rules. I was one of those who complained about management until I got to be the big boss. Then and only then did I get to see the crap they put up with. At best it works good, at worst it is like herding a bunch of stray cats.
                  I would like to see where the driver gets what ever time he saves as time off at the end of the day and then of course that would make a whole different set of problems as some drivers would race around, speeding, taking chances, etc. At 5 min. it would look to me that they could do a better job but exactly how is what their competitor is likely trying to discover. 5 min (by 10 am)x a full day x how many drivers per day would make a nice bonus for someone(s)

Comment

Explains why a lorry delivering plaster boards to me parked up down the road and sat there for 45 mins before pulling in my drive to deliver, not even at the address, all the driver said was the aholes track me!
                    Strange world, I’m going to count some chemtrails when I find my tin foil hat
                    Mark

Comment

Well, we can't have packages flying around Willie-Nillie and untracked. It would upset the time continuum and probably cause the earth to stop rotating. Besides, it beats the old system of not knowing when your package will show up.

I bought two rear tractor tires last month off Ebay and the seller said they'd arrive by a certain date (Friday). I followed the tracking and they arrived at the shipper's regional center on Wednesday. The shipper called and scheduled a delivery on Friday at 2:00pm. I drove the farm truck down to the front at about 1:50pm. By gosh, it was 2:00pm and up pulls a tractor-trailer ("18-wheeler" in the US). He backed the trailer through the gate opening and I backed the pickup up to the trailer. He had two 175 pound tires rolled into the back of the pickup in minutes.

Comment

Sounds like he's a union worker...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                          Sounds like he's a union worker...
                          I doubt it. They typically don't help you unload. They stand around and watch you do it.

Comment

Things certainly are changing. Last week I ordered a small part from Amazon. I was surprised to see FREE same day delivery was an option, so I took it.

We got the usual email saying it had shipped from a nearby town. OK. Nothing new there. It would be here by 5 pm. OK. Cool.

Then my wife goes to the link in the email. It shows that the truck has already made it to my city. It shows that it's at a strip mall 3 miles away. It tells me that there are 7 stops before it gets to me. We watched on the web as it moved from place to place, stopping at the hospital and an apartment complex. Twenty minutes from the time we started monitoring it, it was at the door.

Total time from order to delivery was around 2 hours.

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Wow that's the fastest delivery iv ever heard of...

and did not know you could follow it in such detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X