Brass or bronze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass or bronze?

Back a bit ago i picked up two 9 inch lengths of 1 3/4 inch diameter brass or bronze bars. Is there some way to tell what i have, ? either brass or bronze? Thanks.

Bras is golden color, will polish brighter,,easily.
    Bronze will laugh at an attempt to get it real shiny.. bronze is browner looking, sort of dirtier look than brass.
    If it has a greenish tinge, it's the expensive hard ****e.
    Brass for decorative pieces
    Bronze for hard tough wearing stuff.

Comment

Brass, dunked in a weak acid will usually turn coppery from the zinc being leached out. I do not think the tin in bronze generally does that.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

If it is brass you can turn it on the lathe and get chips. If it is bronze you will get very hot powder.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Bars of bearing bronze usually have tiger stripe looking bands around the OD. I have several sizes.

Comment

melt filings or chips in a crucible - brass will deposit a white smoke residue on surrounding surfaces (maybe including your lungs - beware, zinc). Bronze will not.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

The tiger stripe bars are Aluminum Bronze. Very long wearing stuff. Kind of hard to machine, but doable. It comes in round and flat bars.
              Kansas City area

Comment

660 we buy has the stripes, wavy surface and not nominal size..

Comment

The "tiger stripe" (peppermint stick stripe) on 660 bearing bronze that is commercially available is the result of machining the rough cast bar.... a tool mark of sorts.

Joe B

Comment

Pretty sure bearing bronze is continuous cast.
                    Len

Comment

So what was it ?č

Comment

Jerry has it right in post #3
                        The "stripes" are a function of continuous casting and many copper alloys are done that way, which includes 660, Phos bronze, Aluminum Bronze ,Ampco ect.
                        The difference between brass and bronze has been narrowed greatly in the past 100 years. Many brasses have Tin, and many Bronzes have Zinc added to the mixture.
                        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Brass on left, bronze on right JR

Comment

Thanks everyone who replied to my post. My bars are neither colour as the last photo, and have no markings, but i will try turning one to see what i get. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X