A fixer-upper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fixer-upper

A friend of mine in Timmins stumbled across an old lathe for sale and gave me a call.

I got it for the price of scrap. I think that it will be a good machine when I get her fixed up.

It's a "Cisco" with 18" swing and 60" between centers.

To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

There's some rare options there!

Note the ultra-low-profile non-snag toolpost, the rustproof, painted belt pullies, and the safety-red handles. That and the tailstock handwheel has been removed so nobody will trip over it.

Seriously, looks salvageable anyway. I wouldn't mind having it.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Ain't nothing wrong with old iron.

If you can get parts or make parts it is as good as any new one. Cutting metal is not rocket science. A old machine don't realize it is old.

We bought for my friend a old 14 1/2 southbend that favors that one, except it is painted Alistair green......

-

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-11-2005).]

Comment

Nice find George! How large a motor could you put on that size of machine? What year was it built?

Comment

Here's a picture of my buddy's lathe. It has similar protection on the pulleys - no rust so far.

A research request on this forum revealed that it is probably a "Cairo". At first I thought it might be the same make as yours, but I suppose lots of makers used similar lines in the day.

We are in the process of tightening up the workings in the apron, but the lathe is still rigid and smooth as silk after all these years. Note the retrofit model A tranny above the headstock - probably high-tech when it was installed. The original owner built a steady rest from angle iron and 1/2" plate. It also works better than I thought it would.

Comment

The two treasures I brought home today. A hydraulic punch press and a notcher set up for it.

LOOK< it is ALISTAIR green... HA..

You wouldn't believe how heavy this rascal is.

Comment

Vinito..

I'd love to have the lil bike on the wall.. Imagine me riding it around bike rallys.. whoo hoo..

Benelli?

Comment

George,spooky very spooky,I had that identical lathe,mine had the overarm mount in the back of the headstock,it only used the center step too.It was my first lathe,paid $250 and sold it for $450,old machine had a darn smooth feed on it,made me many dollars and never complained.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Geez, George, first you get me hooked on a new hobby, and now you've got TWO lathes! LOL!

Congrats on the new toy, I'll check it out next visit. Need a hand to get it in the garage?

Michael

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bernie:
                    Nice find George! How large a motor could you put on that size of machine? What year was it built?</font>
                    I will be looking for a 2 HP motor. (1725 rpm)

Don't know the year, will have to find time to do some research on it.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrennie:
                      Need a hand to get it in the garage?

Michael[/B]</font>
                      First I have got to make room for it. (something has got to go ) Then it has to come apart and go in one piece at a time. I think that it is close to 3 tons.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
                        Ain't nothing wrong with old iron.

If you can get parts or make parts it is as good as any new one. Cutting metal is not rocket science. A old machine don't realize it is old.

</font>
                        I agree 100%. My friend Duncan has an old Hendey that works great dispite years of abuse from previous owners.

Comment

This one is probably past the possible/practical

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...834651813&rd=1

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

gypsie,
                            That bitty Kawasaki was my buddy's first bike. It still works but nobody's figured out how to fit on it and still look cool.

Lucky bastage had 70 acres to ride around on since he was a wee toddler.

Comment

I remember a benelli when I was a kid.. I could not see what it was, I do recognize the green now thou.

No way to look "cool" riding a toy like that. You just suck it up and have fun. Kinda like being a 285lb man drinking a milkshake.

or eating a ice cream cone with the kid. *it gets in my beard and it funny as heck.. my kid hates it thou..

www.speedwaymotors.com sells a lil bitty bicycle that has wheels like 4" in diameter. I offered to purchase the Ibew_CHattanooga Prez one if I could get a picture of him on it. He is about 400 lbs.. That man eclipses the sun when he gets around me, I am 6'1" and 290#

-

Comment

Working...
                              X