Originally posted by GKman View Post
    https://youtu.be/46Sf2snNvJo

Ram Pump working. ...
    GKman, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• GKman
    replied
    https://youtu.be/46Sf2snNvJo

Ram Pump working. Danger may cause excitement overload. Check with your doctor first

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    One of my uncles had a farm with a large, old, homestead on a small hill with a pond fed by hydraulic ram from a stream. Water from the pond also ran a small hydro system for lights etc.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    im very pleased with the way my solar porch turned out - on a 35 degree day it can get up to 90 on the porch, while the porch is heating up the solar panel is pumping it's energy into the duct work by means of an old gutted out double insulated computer power box that has two little 65watt a piece halogen headlight bulbs with a computer heat sink machined out to fit them - a 12 volt computer fan that blows the pre-heated air from the box and into the duct work, it's all thermally protected with a high temp cut out but never has yet kicked off AFAIK -

@ 75 degree porch temp the power gets disconnected from the pre-heat and goes directly to the main fans - before there was a cold blast of air for quite awhile but the pre-heater does a fair job at at least keeping things neutral for starters,

back of the house was always cold - not any more, it's set it and forget it, does not matter if power goes out the system works flawlessly - and when it's raining the people knocking at the front door have a place to stand without getting wet thanks again to the panel... also creates a no slip area in the winter right where it's needed most at the step... solar can be fun too, how one old 170 watt panel can make such a difference when used correctly is very cool - literally as i can use same system in the summer to suck the hottest air off the porch peak and pump it directly into the attic - it's cold air compared to attic temps so gives the roofing shingles a break and helps keep the entire house a little cooler too....
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 04-10-2018, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Blackfoot
    replied
    I'm glad that "hydraulic ram pump" is known by somebody other than me. About 50 years ago I worked for a company where a previous owner would come around to get something made or repaired (we built machinery). He owned property that had a stream and he really liked hydraulic ram pumps. He would buy one and bring it in our shop for us to take apart, clean up, repair if necessary, paint it, and put it on a pallet for him to pick up. These pumps were by no means any sort of "red neck" contraption. They were manufactured by people who knew a lot about it. The pumps he brought in looked like they were made of cast iron. For sure castings.....maybe steel. They also had some sort of pressure domes on them. He had at least two operating 24/7 when freezing was not likely (we are in Michigan....it freezes). The pumps provided water for some beautiful ponds that he had made. When he died, the estate he left to a local college was worth about $11 million. Not hardly redneck.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by GKman View Post
    Thanks Mike,

Believe it or not I have two pumping right now. They are powered by a 7' head through 1" galvanized steel pipes where the stream is dammed. They have to lift that 7' plus the 12' talked about above. When the drive pipes have just been cleaned and a syphon is working over the dam they each pump a gallon/minute. Doesn't sound like much, but they never rest 24 7 except for winter weather when freezing could damage them. That's over 300,000 gal/yr. Have photos and video if anyone is interested, I'll try to post some. For those not familiar with them they use the energy of about 7 gallons of water going through them 1 where I want it and 6 on down stream where it was going anyway.
    Is another (and larger) Ram pump out of the question because you need to keep the pond refilled in freezing temps.?

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
    Forgot to mention. I think the Rule pump is brushed and unlikely to run every day for very long.
    I was surprised to find a Rule 1000 pump that was running non-stop for at least 3 months. One year while winterizing my boat, I accidentally dropped a short piece of 2" hose into the center bilge inside of the engine room. When they hauled and blocked up my boat for winter storage that hose must have moved around and somehow wedged itself under a float switch. When I came back to the boat in the middle of the winter to check on everything (~3 months after it was hauled/blocked/shrinkwrapped), I noticed one of the bilge pump indicator lights was on so I went to find out what's going on and saw the hose sitting in the empty bilge under the float switch. It was warm but still humming away like it normally sounds except without the gurgling sound. I figured without any build water flowing it would have completely burnt up but it was fine. I replaced it with a new one just in case but I still have it as a spare. I was also lucky that I had the battery bank chargers plugged in to a shore extension cord or it would have probably wiped out a PITA to replace 8D starting battery that isn't deep cycle.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
    Two, maybe three hundred bucks for a pump and panels. You can spend that much building a ram pump and still lose three fourths of your water in wasted horse power.
    It's a stream - most all the water is heading downhill anyways and leaving the premises, actually plastic can be used for the upper part but you better have steel at the lower end, hydraulic rams are cool, so is solar, he already has rams so creating an alternative would give even more flexibility, fine tuning a ram is just plain cool, solar not so much so, if you like to tinker build a ram, if not then go with the solar, if you really like to tinker build a wheel with a ceramic piston pump, probably even more seasonable then the ram, lot's of ways to go and none of them wrong if they get the job done...

Leave a comment:

• 1-800miner
    replied
    Two, maybe three hundred bucks for a pump and panels. You can spend that much building a ram pump and still lose three fourths of your water in wasted horse power.
    Pumping to ten feet does not need a lot of power and you get all the water per horse power.
    Harbor Freight 1oo watt panel set is two hundred bucks. Chinese pump is seventy. No electronic gadgets, no batteries. pumps with the sun and quits without it.
    Want more water? Add some panels and wire it up to 24 volts. The pump don't care about low voltage/amperage.
    K.I.S.S.
    Three years running every day and all I have to do is clean the crap off the screen some times.

Leave a comment:

• GKman
    replied
    Use mechanical water power for pumping? Water wheel?
    15 gallons/ minute falling 7 feet could only provide about 8 watts of power. Just do the math convert gallons/min to pounds x 7 feet and convert to watts.

Plastic pipe?
    Won't hold up. Ram pumps rely on a valve slamming shut, sends a shock wave bouncing back and forth from the inlet to the check valve outlet to pump. You can see some on youtube using plastic pipe but experts say they wont last. Also they aren't as efficient. Calculations include the modulus of elasticity of the drive pipe so strange as it seems to be it is working as a spring somehow.
    Pipe size?
    Its a tuned resonator assembly, pipe is sized from equations, charts developed a long time ago based on supply available and fall.

Looks like photobucket at my pictures, I'll have video in a day or two.

Still looking for a brushless pump. ??
    Last edited by GKman; 04-10-2018, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Yeah don't really know why that is - I thought the robust 12 volt furnace motor i had would handle it just fine cuz it took off with just a very light load - panel is 170 watts which is plenty enough to cook it if you stalled the motor out and held it stagnant, but even with mostly cloud cover the motor would run on a mere fraction of "current" and when it stopped it would never heat up just sitting there,

i think it's hard on them when they get parked with the brushes between two places on the commutator,

anyways - go with electronics, I think some of them have a built in on/off switch that is designed to either kick in when safe too and kick out when not...

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    Forgot to mention. I think the Rule pump is brushed and unlikely to run every day for very long.

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    I looked up the Rule 4000 pump and was surprised at the head it could pump, about 2000 gph at 12’.
    So it could move a lot more water per day than the ram pumps.

I question your use of 1” galvanized pipe for the rams. With only 7’ of head even tiny friction losses are an issue. I think 2” black poly pipe with bends done by heating with a long radius might make a huge difference. The friction for poly is much lower too.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    I second all those who say connect the motor directly to the solar cell.

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    I question whether the electric approach is really the right one- you have a running stream which could turn a simple one cylinder pump. As you say it runs 24/7, so a small pumping volume could maybe do the job. Instead of buying solar panels and an electric pump, make your own redneck version.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X