My deck build from a few years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My deck build from a few years ago

Not to detail Sid's beautiful deck, I wanted to post pictures of the last deck I built at my old house.

Pictures of the old deck that was there when I bought the house and pictures of the new deck I built. All PT home depot crap lumber. I should have bought engineered composite for the decking and higher quality joists. I remember having to shim the damn joists because some were not as tall as others. What a PITA crap lumber is. It all worked out find in the end but I hated how much extra time I needed to spend dealing with joists that were not all exactly the same height.

Im going to have to re-do mine, was brand new when i bought the house but the hillbillies did not use pressure treated lumber so it's all rot now, had a buddy go through one of the planks last year lol

im thinking of going a composite also but not low grade as that stuff warps and looks like crap...

Comment

Is this a deck measuring contest now?

Comment

Hey, found this too with some nice drone views of my old house!

Comment

that chimney wouldn't last two minuets in an earthquake
          san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Originally posted by gambler View Post
            that chimney wouldn't last two minuets in an earthquake
            I think the garage doors would also give way if I drove straight into them. I think a meteor would also punch right through that roof. Nothing is built right anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
              I think the garage doors would also give way if I drove straight into them. I think a meteor would also punch right through that roof. Nothing is built right anymore.
              don't get me wrong, its a lovely house.
              san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Originally posted by gambler View Post
                don't get me wrong, its a lovely house.
                I sold that awhile ago. We now live in an amazing 8500 sq/ft 5+ bedroom, 8 bathroom home on 2 acres. Fortunately the new home doesn't have a chimney that's going to explode like our old home did.

Comment

Whip out a picture of your deck, biggest one wins..

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                    Is this a deck measuring contest now?
                    For some people, it's all about the size of their deck ...

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
                      For some people, it's all about the size of their deck ...
                      I have two decks. I can tell you that while size is very important, it's useless if it's in the wrong place.

Comment

It's not how big your deck is, it's how you use it.
                        Cocktails @ 5 anyone?
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

My deck's not real big, but my wife likes it. She'll sit on it for hours at a time on a warm spring evening.
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I've heard the latest trend is for some folks to trim the bushes around their decks to make them look bigger.
                            www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

One thing I hate about decks is when you have to paint them. I'll never build another deck that needs paint or stain. It literately took longer to stain the deck and all four sides of each banister post than it did to build the deck. What a PITA that is! Long and boring as hell. I remember getting all excited and could barely wait the ~30 days that you're suppose to wait for pressure treated lumber to dry out enough before painting/staining. When it was finally ready to stain, I quickly realized there was nothing about staining a deck I liked. Especially when it looked like it needed to be stained again several months later

Comment

Working...
                              X