Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmm03
    replied
    Dennis, I was surprised to see how much the terrain in your part of the world looked like my daughters and son in laws place in southern louisiana... except for the snow of course ) nice place you have. Jim

Leave a comment:

• DennisCA
    replied
    This is our deck, don't have any pictures specifically of it but it shows up here and there. Nowadays it's a lot darker after we treated it:

Zoom out shot

And a winter shot form this year, as you can see I've added an outdoor kitchen and a garden swing. Outdoor kitchen is a work in progress.

Leave a comment:

• gambler
    replied
    I've found the best method for digging post holes is to hire someone else to do it. usually goes very smoothly for me.

Leave a comment:

• Rex
    replied
    My deck situation

When we moved into the house in 2001, it had a big deck on the slope behind and beside the house. All wood, 32-ft by 20-ft. It was getting pretty ragged, so I restained it, and built all new rails and posts last summer. It looked great!

Last Jan 17 (my birthday) I walked out the back door into a wall of flame. The deck was on fire and almost totally engulfed. That fiberglass hot tub might as well have been gasoline! Luckily it did not catch the house, but it was close.

So now I have a big black area where the deck was. I intend to rebuild it, probably bigger.

Toward that end, I found through a friend 150 pieces of 2.5" square tubing, 10-ft long with 7/16 holes every 1.5 inches, all 4 sides. I intend to build a framework with that, like a manly erector set. Not sure what I will deck it with. Probably not wood.

Right now I'm at the point of digging post holes. Trouble is the hillside is very rocky. I bought a $150 jackhammer which is working pretty well. but it's going to take me a couple weeks to dig all the holes unless I come up with a better method.

So that's where I'm at.
    Last edited by Rex; 04-12-2018, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
    Next time use Schaeffers Deck Sealant from New Zealand. It only needs one coat.
    I dunno, do they sell it in 5 gallon pails? One gallon isn't enough to fully cover my deck.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripe
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    It took forever and it needed two coats for both the small and large deck.
    Next time use Schaeffers Deck Sealant from New Zealand. It only needs one coat.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
    Painting would take some time but oil varnish/stain.. maybe 2 hours for our ~400 sqft deck.
    Protect the house with cardboard, apply plentifull(pour from bucket/pitcher andspread with wide brush) of varnish all over the deck and wipe off excess with old t-shirts wrapped around broom.
    The decking is no problem at all. It was all of the banisters and the railings top/bottom/front/backs, spaces in between banister posts. Each banister has 4 sides that need a good coating. It took forever and it needed two coats for both the small and large deck.

Last edited by ; 04-11-2018, 07:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    One thing I hate about decks is when you have to paint them. I'll never build another deck that needs paint or stain. It literately took longer to stain the deck and all four sides of each banister post than it did to build the deck. What a PITA that is! Long and boring as hell. I remember getting all excited and could barely wait the ~30 days that you're suppose to wait for pressure treated lumber to dry out enough before painting/staining. When it was finally ready to stain, I quickly realized there was nothing about staining a deck I liked. Especially when it looked like it needed to be stained again several months later
    Painting would take some time but oil varnish/stain.. maybe 2 hours for our ~400 sqft deck.
    Protect the house with cardboard, apply plentifull(pour from bucket/pitcher andspread with wide brush) of varnish all over the deck and wipe off excess with old t-shirts wrapped around broom.

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    That looks good!

IMHO there is not much that can be made of concrete that could better be made of something else!

How dare you post a masterpiece like that and take it to another level that we can't even touch! We are trying to have a soap box race here and you show up in a lambo

That's a very cool deck.

Thanks we have been very happy with them,we have a 10'x52' exposed agragete deck with front apron in front of the house that was done in one pour.The down side to concrete decks by the time you have it formed up,you have built a wood deck allready then when tearing forms apart they go in the garbage.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    We have had good luck with concrete decks and all welded powder coated aluminum railing.
    How dare you post a masterpiece like that and take it to another level that we can't even touch! We are trying to have a soap box race here and you show up in a lambo

That's a very cool deck.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    That looks good!

IMHO there is not much that can be made of concrete that could better be made of something else!

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    One thing I hate about decks is when you have to paint them. I'll never build another deck that needs paint or stain. It literately took longer to stain the deck and all four sides of each banister post than it did to build the deck. What a PITA that is! Long and boring as hell. I remember getting all excited and could barely wait the ~30 days that you're suppose to wait for pressure treated lumber to dry out enough before painting/staining. When it was finally ready to stain, I quickly realized there was nothing about staining a deck I liked. Especially when it looked like it needed to be stained again several months later
    We have had good luck with concrete decks and all welded powder coated aluminum railing.

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by enginuity View Post
    I've heard the latest trend is for some folks to trim the bushes around their decks to make them look bigger.
    you just had to take it that step further didn't you

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by danlb View Post
    My deck's not real big, but my wife likes it. She'll sit on it for hours at a time on a warm spring evening.
    Hey Dan, do you have mirrors over your deck?

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    Are you & Sid having a deck pulling contest?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X