Drill Press Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Questions

I posted earlier some questions about a heavier duty machine than what I had. I have purchased a Rockwell (no mention of Delta with it) that doesn't have everything but it is bigger, beefier & a floor model. I can find no reference to it afaik on the net. It has no model #, simply a catalog # (4-15-214) & a Serial (G4587).

As supplied it has a 1/2 Hp, 1725 rpm, 208 volt, 3 phase motor that I will replace or... (can't imagine much use for a 3 phase this small). There are 6 speeds using a pair of 6 speed cone pulleys. Unlike the current fashion of an intermediate pulley mounted in the top of the column this one only has a motor/spindle pair. Based on motor rpm & pulley sizes it should have spindle speeds of (rounded off): 400, 600, 1100, 2000, 3800, 5500. It has close to 6 inches of quill extension and 15 inch capacity. Quill extension is a 3-position handle.

The table has 4 slots arranged at 45 degrees to the column. It is adjustable to vertical (parallel to the quill) but it does not rotate about a central pivot.

Jacobs 1/2 inch geared chuck. I'll have to do some cleaning to read any info. Immediately above the chuck - see http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/1701.pdf. About half way is a series of 3 drawings labeled "Extra Large Spindle Bearings" - is a bushing with 3 holes spaced like those on a Drill chuck for the key wrench and above one of them either a small hex screw or a roll pin (full of gunk).

My questions:
    1. Any insight into researching a catalog number (not a model number?) for a "pure" (I think) Rockwell machine to help hunt down a manual?
    2. How do I remove the chuck? I removed the inspection plate in front of the quill (where a switch for a single phase motor would be expected) and tried to locate an opening for a drift to drive out what I thought would be the morse taper spindle inserted into the quill - no go. This arrangement - whatever it is - is new to me. Or, is it not involved at all?

Originally posted by Dunc View Post
    I posted earlier some questions about a heavier duty machine than what I had. I have purchased a Rockwell (no mention of Delta with it) that doesn't have everything but it is bigger, beefier & a floor model. I can find no reference to it afaik on the net. It has no model #, simply a catalog # (4-15-214) & a Serial (G4587).

As supplied it has a 1/2 Hp, 1725 rpm, 208 volt, 3 phase motor that I will replace or... (can't imagine much use for a 3 phase this small). There are 6 speeds using a pair of 6 speed cone pulleys. Unlike the current fashion of an intermediate pulley mounted in the top of the column this one only has a motor/spindle pair. Based on motor rpm & pulley sizes it should have spindle speeds of (rounded off): 400, 600, 1100, 2000, 3800, 5500. It has close to 6 inches of quill extension and 15 inch capacity. Quill extension is a 3-position handle.

The table has 4 slots arranged at 45 degrees to the column. It is adjustable to vertical (parallel to the quill) but it does not rotate about a central pivot.

Jacobs 1/2 inch geared chuck. I'll have to do some cleaning to read any info. Immediately above the chuck - see http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/1701.pdf. About half way is a series of 3 drawings labeled "Extra Large Spindle Bearings" - is a bushing with 3 holes spaced like those on a Drill chuck for the key wrench and above one of them either a small hex screw or a roll pin (full of gunk).

My questions:
    1. Any insight into researching a catalog number (not a model number?) for a "pure" (I think) Rockwell machine to help hunt down a manual?
    2. How do I remove the chuck? I removed the inspection plate in front of the quill (where a switch for a single phase motor would be expected) and tried to locate an opening for a drift to drive out what I thought would be the morse taper spindle inserted into the quill - no go. This arrangement - whatever it is - is new to me. Or, is it not involved at all?
    There may be a collar on threads (you seemed to describe one) that is used to jack the chuck off a taper. Or the chuck might unscrew, while you hold that collar steady, if the collar does not have threads.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Dunc View Post
      Not sure if this will help you, but here is a link to instructions (page 3) for removing a chuck from a vintage Rockwell drill press: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/698/4482.pdf

Comment

Thanks for replying.

@ tom_d
        I have not tried it yet but the photos of the chuck area in your reference appear identical to my machine.

Comment

If you aren't having any luck googling on your model/serial number, just google on Rockwell drill presses. And look at images. Go through google's images. Then every few days repeat the search but this time restrict it to "last week" to just see anything new that's popped up.

If you could find or make an idler 6-sheave pulley, boy you'd have lots and lots of speeds! I think 30 maybe.

metalmagpie

Comment

"If you could find or make an idler 6-sheave pulley, boy you'd have lots and lots of speeds! I think 30 maybe."

Yes, I am considering an additional speed reduction scheme. There are many in old Pop Sci & Pop Mech magazines and, of course, HSM and MW. I think my problem will not be speed reduction, per se, but choosing which one.

Comment

When posts about Rockwell machines have come up a few time in my own history on this forum it was not uncommon to find that the same design of head was used on a number of years and different models. So if you can find details for a machine that has a similar looking head then chances are good that it'll match what you have. Just like the picture finding idea that metalmagpie suggested above. Odds are good that you'll find a link to a manual and parts diagram that applies to your new DP head piece even if the table and arm remains a mystery item.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Might think about just adding a VFD to that motor for adjustable variable speeds.

Comment

VFD for tapping too. You can set it to go in slow and back out fast, smooth transition from forward to reverse. Actually for tapping you want it to run in reverse. When the tap centers in the hole you press the button for forward. Releasing it puts it in reverse to back out. Had a mechanical tapper that worked this way and it was really slick.

Comment

How about posting a picture of the machine and a close-up of the spindle/chuck area?

Comment

I think I know what you're trying to do with the drill press and it's not advisable. There are much better ways when heavy duty drilling is necessary.

Comment

3PLB, you're in quite the mood today, ain't ya! This is the second thread reply in under a minute where you've made me laugh!
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                          3PLB, you're in quite the mood today, ain't ya! This is the second thread reply in under a minute where you've made me laugh!
                          What's so funny? Is it that plastic clamp? I'm sure it's stronger than it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by BobinOK View Post
                            Might think about just adding a VFD to that motor for adjustable variable speeds.
                            That's what I did to my vintage Rockwell, just love it! Put a F-R spring centering toggle on that front plate with a big fat E-STOP button that I can hit with my forehead. My son thought that was hysterical when I first showed him. He'd do it just for fun. The other major mod was a 1/2-20 pushbutton sliding depth stop.

Comment

Working...
                            X