13" South bend 5c Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13" South bend 5c Adapter

I was wondering if anyone had the dimensions of the 5c collet adapter for the 13" South Bend lathe. I know the taper but am not sure of over all length and is there a counter bore on the back to support the closer tube that goes through the spindle. I called Grizzly and this part is no longer available.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is also a large bore spindle. I believe is 1 3/8".

Comment

The 5-C adapter for the 13" is the same as on the large spindle Heavy 10L, 14.5 and 16 inch lathes. There is a different part number in my book depending on spindle type. The threaded, and long taper key drive spindles are part# AS795LH1, and the cam-lock spindle adapter is #AS3632LH1. My heavy 10L has the cam-lock spindle. The 5-C adapter for it is 2.5" overall length. On the large end the flange is 2.3" dia. and .5" thick. The taper is 1.9" long and measures 1.638 at the large, flange end, and 1.545 at the small end, then about .1 length of 1.498" dia. on the small end that is not part of the ground taper surface. The ID at the small end is 1.252" dia. straight for about .5 deep, then is undercut to the large end where there is the taper that matches the 5-C collet.

Here is a link to the parts manual for those machines:

http://neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/Sou...s%20Manual.pdf
      Last edited by tom_d; 04-10-2018, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
        The 5-C adapter for the 13" is the same as on the large spindle Heavy 10L, 14.5 and 16 inch lathes. There is a different part number in my book depending on spindle type. The threaded, and long taper key drive spindles are part# AS795LH1, and the cam-lock spindle adapter is #AS3632LH1. My heavy 10L has the cam-lock spindle. The 5-C adapter for it is 2.5" overall length. On the large end the flange is 2.3" dia. and .5" thick. The taper is 1.9" long and measures 1.638 at the large, flange end, and 1.545 at the small end, then about .1 length of 1.498" dia. on the small end that is not part of the ground taper surface. The ID at the small end is 1.252" dia. straight for about .5 deep, then is undercut to the large end where there is the taper that matches the 5-C collet.

Here is a link to the parts manual for those machines:

http://neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/Sou...s%20Manual.pdf
        Hey thanks that is the info I need. I have 2-1/4 x 8tpi spindle on mine. I have been turning down a piece of 2 inch 316 stainless I have had laying around and my taper ended up shorter but the big end is 1.632 and fits decently. Im making this bit of metal into an R8 adapter so I can make a milling attachment for it.This has been giving me a bit of practice with the taper attachment as I have never had one before! But I have taken down the measurements and shall use those for a proper 5c adapter to go with my collet closer.

One more question.... does it have a bore in the back to align the closer to the collet or do the 5c collets just hang out the back?

Here is the R8 Adapter so far. I will part off the raw end and have a .75 collar.

Comment

Originally posted by Janssenjr84 View Post
          .................................................. .......................

One more question.... does it have a bore in the back to align the closer to the collet or do the 5c collets just hang out the back?

.................................................. .............

Yes, the 5C adapter has to have a precision bore to align the 5C collet. Only the threaded portion of the collet sticks out the back of the adapter.

You should check Hardinge's spec for the diameter of the straight portion of the collet. Don't use a cheap off shore collet to determine that diameter, some are not correct.

Comment

Thank you very much I will be looking up the specs for a proper 5c collet and see about getting this closer working!

Comment

There is a straight inside bore diameter on the small end that I measured as 1.252" with my dial calipers, and is about .5" deep into the adaper. This is the close fit bearing surface for the collet. The closer is held by the threaded section of the collet.

Comment

Yeah that makes sense. The collets straight OD is 1.250 so a bit of clearance I would bet. Thanks again.

Comment

Yeah that makes sense. The collets straight OD is 1.250 so a bit of clearance I would bet. Thanks again.

You're quite welcome. Please be sure to post some more pictures of your progress with this adapter, and other projects!

Comment

To answer your question, the drawtube does not meet the collet adapter. The rear of the collet is located by the straight bore of the adapter, but the threaded portion hangs out.

The drawtube touches only at the threads and at the bearing area at the outboard end. It is usually fairly close to the spindle bore so it does not have to be guided to meet up with the collet, but when tightened onto the collet threads should be completely free of the spindle.

The collets are much more accurately ground than the drawtube. The drawtube would be a poor choice for maintaining the concentricity of the rear end of the collet.

Comment

That great info. That gives me what I was wondering. I think I'll be doing this next week and I'll take some pics to put on here. Quick side question is there a thread on here about a fine adjust for the south bend taper attachment?

Comment

Working...
                      X