• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if Metal Illness counts?
    That's what I'm talking about! What other Illness is there?

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Illness should protect you from that. It's unhealthy for someone that's ill to be doing those sorts of things. That's what a hospice Landscaper is for
    Hmmm, I wonder if Metal Illness counts?

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    ...and then about the time you're making some real progress with a new CNC machine build, EVERYTHING in your freakin' yard starts turning green & exploding with new growth & all your equipment needs repairs & maintenance left undone from last fall and, and, and, and ad nauseum.
    Illness should protect you from that. It's unhealthy for someone that's ill to be doing those sorts of things. That's what a hospice Landscaper is for

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    Once you get a taste, you become ill and the illness just gets worse
    ...and then about the time you're making some real progress with a new CNC machine build, EVERYTHING in your freakin' yard starts turning green & exploding with new growth & all your equipment needs repairs & maintenance left undone from last fall and, and, and, and ad nauseum.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    What about mounting a rotary table vertically, or at any angle you're able to mount one?
    Then you would be limited to the size of what ever you have mounted on the RT. You may not get enough rotation before you hit the table.

JL...........

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    I want to get a CNC lathe but I haven't even used my manual lathe for anything yet. Once you get a taste, you become ill and the illness just gets worse

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    sometimes it just plain sucks not having CNC

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    I have 3 axis CNC but mostly use it in 2 axis mode myself.

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    That looks pretty easy. However 2 axis CNCs you have to stand there the whole time using the Z axis bt hand. However on my 3 axis CNC I also have CamBam installed and since you obviously already have a CAD drawing CamBam will program all the features right from the drawing! Now with CNC I don't even care that to do something it will take thousands of little moves, I'll be working on something else. I once bought a rotary table because I thought it would be useful. Six years later I sold it having never used it. Mechanically CNC machines are simpler than manual machines. Controls are getting incredibly cheap and with rotary encoder dials you can still crank handles if you want.

I did just order a custom shaped carbide router tool. We do this round HDPE part on the CNC by going around it but it takes three tools. This custom tool can do all three operations with the one tool. To prove out the process I bought molding head for $25 and used the CNC with a diamond wheel to grind the major shape we needed in the 3 blades. Does a beautiful job but is too large to do the inside cuts and too short to have all the features needed.

I need a pump rotor cast. I am machining a square block of foam from four sides by rotating it in the vice. Then it will be cast using the lost foam method. If that doesn't work I'll machine it in wax and have it investment cast. I am sure an expert manual machinist could do this, but it would never get done in the time this takes. It is about an hour to process the moves and about 2 hours to do the machining. I'd like to show the part but it is a bit secret at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Phase Lightbulb
    Guest replied
    This is how I do arcs and much more

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    On my CNC mills, when doing arcs in XZ or YZ, the tool Z zero is at the center of the ball end of the end mill. Instead of Z zero being at the lowest point of the endmill like it would normally be, it is in the middle of the ball. I don't know if it's the same for the DRO calculations, but might be something to look into.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    Tedious would be an understatement. By the end of it, you’ll be wanting CNC. Actually wasn’t that bad.
    good job. I've not done that, but do radius turning in the lathe that way - as you say its not that bad. Joe, the steps are quick work for a man with a file

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    OK, I get it. I don't believe my Acu Rite has that feature.
    But alternating back and forth between the X & Y by even .005 to cut an arc can be quite time consuming and I imagine it would produce a segmented cut.

JL................
    Tedious would be an understatement. By the end of it, you’ll be wanting CNC. Actually wasn’t that bad. Just another tool in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• dave_r
    replied
    Now you are getting into CNC territory...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X