QCTP lubrication ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QCTP lubrication ?

I've some down time at my shop and after making a new back plate for a new chuck
    I decided to take my QCTP apart to clean out all the cast iron dust.
    What would be a good choice to re lubricate the QCTP, light/medium wt oil, way oil, grease ?

I use way oil on the wedges, StaLube Red premium on the internals.
    Southwest Utah

Comment

Lubricate a QCTP? Never had to take mine apart. In fact, it does NOT have any internal parts and therefore does not come apart. Just two main pieces, OK three and they are completely solid. ROCK SOLID! No interior places for crud to accumulate.

Lubrication? Just a drop or two on the working screws.

And it is a real Quick Change tool holder. I can change tools twice while you are still looking for your wrench.

Look here:

"Quick-change Tool Post", Machinist's Workshop, Feb-Mar 2010

or here for a later revision:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...20Accessories/

or for the latest revision:

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...st-lathe-52118
      Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 04-10-2018, 08:54 PM.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I spray a little silicone on the wedge every morning. You don't want to use something that will attract chips.

Comment

When I took my Aloris apart I greased the internals with red grease, Mobile I think it was.
          I always wipe the wedges clean with an oil cloth and the tool holder dove tail as well.

JL.....

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to see if Home Depot has Stalube Red grease for the internals,
            if not I'll probably use what I have on hand ( Mobilux EP1 ).

Comment

I've only had mine a few months so it still has the original grease. Every time I go into the lathe room to use it, grease is oozing out of the top so it must have plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

And it is a real Quick Change tool holder. I can change tools twice while you are still looking for your wrench.
                Aloris style tool post require no wrenches to change tool holders,so whats the point of your post????????????

Comment

Originally posted by J.Ramsey View Post
                  Aloris style tool post require no wrenches to change tool holders,so whats the point of your post????????????
                  To sell plans.

Comment

Working...
                  X