Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaviest thing you loaded on a trailer with a Cherry picker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaviest thing you loaded on a trailer with a Cherry picker.

That thread on loading the press reminded me..

I once loaded a Swedish Nibbler.. looks like a Pullmax 9.
    Had a 4 ft throat, and built out if 15mm plate..
    It had to weigh over 1800 lbs.
    I got it on by myself, can't really remember how, but it took around 3 hours.
    It was not on fat ground either.

It's happy in a friends shop now, been a great metalworking tool, after building some tooling, and installing a variable speed.
    Last edited by 754; 04-11-2018, 09:26 PM.

I took a Bridgeport mill off a trailer once with a 2-ton engine hoist.

metalmagpie

Comment

I used to load cars onto trailers with mine. They were stripped down cars but still whole car off the ground.

Also used mine to move my Lagun ft2 around.
      Andy

Comment

Probably a 10 lb box of cherries. I helped my sister load the boxes after we were done picking cherries.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Cherry picker
          NOUN

informal.
          1.a hydraulic crane with a railed platform at the end for raising and lowering people, for instance to work on overhead cables.
          2.a person who cherry-picks.

Since everyone seems to have their own definition; I lifted my Toledo OBI Punch-Press off a trailer with the side boom on my crawler (dozer). The OBI weighs about 3200 pounds.

Comment

Put a Bridgeport on a trailer with one. Table was off.
            mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

I have a cherry picker on steroids so picking up my 3K pound mill was no problem.

Comment

My Hardinge horizontal mill. The trailer was low and small but I still needed my "extendaboom" arm in the socket of the engine hoist.

I cheated, counter weights on the back of the lift and it was still sketchy. And those mills arent that heavy. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                  My Hardinge horizontal mill. The trailer was low and small but I still needed my "extendaboom" arm in the socket of the engine hoist.

I cheated, counter weights on the back of the lift and it was still sketchy. And those mills arent that heavy. JR
                  You have to put the legs all the way out or a big lift will crumple the hoist. Trust me. - MM

Comment

Tried to pick my Excello off the trailer in one shot, no go. Had to pick the head, and column separate. Still didn't have an easy feeling about the column, but it did it. I prefer to use the tractor loader for lifting heavy things. Not enough room in the garage to use the crane anyway lol.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                      Cherry picker
                      NOUN

informal.
                      1.a hydraulic crane with a railed platform at the end for raising and lowering people, for instance to work on overhead cables.
                      2.a person who cherry-picks.

Since everyone seems to have their own definition; I lifted my Toledo OBI Punch-Press off a trailer with the side boom on my crawler (dozer). The OBI weighs about 3200 pounds.
                      I was thinking migrant workers!! Cherry picker is a very broad term. The OP needs to be more specific.

JL................
                      Last edited by JoeLee; 04-12-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Last summer I unloaded a 20 KW Kohler generator from a semi trailer with my little John Deere 430 tractor on its front loader. The generator has a full steel cabinet, is powered by a 4 cylinder in-line Ford industrial engine and is on steel skids. It is 9 1/2'X3 1/2'X3 1/2' tall It took 3 men standing on the brush cutter on the three point hitch to balance the load.
                        The load was at the absolute limit of the hydraulic cylinders at full throttle on the tractor. I moved the generator about 100 yards from the semi to a concrete pad.
                        I was amazed it worked.
                        Bill
                        I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

~4400 lbs. I used an import 2-ton engine hoist, a come along, some plywood, some steel plate and a lot of cussing to load and unload a Gould and Eberhardt shaper. The hoist couldn't lift the whole thing and the wheels of the hoist kept sinking an inch or more into the asphalt. I got it done but it took hours and was a very slow process - sort of a "lift this corner, scoot, drop, lift the other corner, nudge, drop" kind of thing. Getting into the trailer involved taking some of the weight off with the crane and then using the whimpy come along to drag it up.

I've since graduated to hydraulic jacks, pallet jacks and a 20 ton electric hoist. Those couple of items were some of the best investments I ever made; for about $600 in equipment, I can load and unload machines up to 5k lbs. quickly by myself. Over 5k is still very do-able but does require a bit more donage and care. Usually a half-day job instead of just an hour to load. I almost never use my rickety old engine hoist now.
                          Last edited by Fasttrack; 04-12-2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Used it to drywall the ceiling too.

Andy

Comment

2000 lb. Shaper and a Bridgeport mill.

Comment

Working...
                              X