Cement mixer converted to hydraulic system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cement mixer converted to hydraulic system

About ten years ago I bought an old diesel powered cement mixer. This mixer is really top quality and built like a tank. There was just one problem! The diesel motor was a crank start. It was not real practical to use as it had no clutch between the motor and the barrel meaning it was always turning. No problem if you are shoveling in cement, sand and stones but if trying to empty bags of premix it was a real pain. My first attempt was to pull the diesel motor and put a right angle gearbox drive in and drive it with the pto off my tractor. That work but I always had to go to the cab to turn on the pto or shut it off. I didn't want to convert it to electric as #1. I have an electric cement mixer. #2. I wanted to be able to take it to remote places to use to set posts in concrete without having to drive back and forth.

So I converted it to hydraulic drive for the barrel and while I was at it I made it so I could tip it with a hydraulic cylinder. That was by far the best part in my mind. With 400lbs of concrete in the barrel tipping it was a little tricky when trying to pour the concrete into a bucket for instance. Now with a push of a little lever I can tip the barrel with very good control while placing a bucket in the right spot. If you work alone much you know how hard that can be sometimes.

I did the conversion in a manner that enables me to use a small electric motor and hydraulic pump if I am close to electricity or if the need arises I can connect it to my tractor hydrulics or my excavator if at a remote place on the farm. I had all the needed components in my shop so I didn't have to buy anything. It took about half a day to do the conversion. The hose situation is a little messy right now as I just used what I had already made up in order to test everything. Now that I am sure it works as hoped I will make up correct length hoses and such to clean it up.

This is a towable concrete mixer and really heavy so losing the heavy diesel and cutting off the big box that housed it reduced the overall weight quite a bit.

There was machining involved making the couplers and motor mounts, etc..

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Pics or you "fabricated" this whole story :-)

Comment

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
      Pics or you "fabricated" this whole story :-)
      I took a video with my cell phone of me operating it but it turned out really bad! Tomorrow I will take a good video.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I built one for tractor front loader years back,1/3 of yard if memory is correct.Used a big truck front axle spindle, I just cut 1/2" plate to match truck rim and weld that on bottom of tapered drum I made from 3/8" wall 30" pipe that I tapered.I drove it hyd with orbit motor driving the drum via chain drive,I mounted a large sprocket in place of brake drum on truck spindle.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          I took a video with my cell phone of me operating it but it turned out really bad! Tomorrow I will take a good video.
          Yes, the video quality is terrible. Do you have a better camera?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
            Yes, the video quality is terrible. Do you have a better camera?
            was that you?
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I have a drum type mixer, the old thing is a bit worn but the mrs likes it, she is my go to concrete and mortar mixing department, her and her sister did about 3m3 a while back, impressive, I’ve been toying with making a hydraulic mixing bucket for my skid steer, I’ve seen them on videos, they look like a handy thing, drive the bucket into the aggregate pile, tip the bucket up add cement and turn on the mix paddles ( long auger) hydraulic off the machine, there was even a deublin swivel coupling one end with the water,
              The old joke about mixers came true in work, couple of guys filled the batch mixer with castable refractory to do a ladle bottom, the said ladle was deemed still to hot so it was left overnite to cool a bit.
              They didn’t empty the batch mixer (about a ton at a go size) there was a bit of a water leak on the valve so the concrete wetted up during the night, to make matters worse there was stainless chaff and accelerator in too, the drum was solid in the morning, they got to jackhammer it out while everyone laughed at the stupidest labourers on site, it was funny,
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                was that you?
                Not mine. Mine is much faster!

Comment

mixer and on high speed with a handy perforated end cap, seed distribution device :-)

Comment

I shot some more video of me using the mixer and my hydraulic wheel barrow. It needs to be edited and I will post it later today. If nothing else you all can laugh at me!!!!

Comment

Bring it on. I've got my grin face ready
                      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

I've already started laughing. Hurry up and upload it before I forget what I'm laughing about

Comment

Found it!

Comment

OK you guys have a good laugh!
                            https://youtu.be/roHDDCKSZW8

Comment

That seems kind of sloppy (too much water) for a high-strength batch of concrete...

Comment

Working...
                              X